Corporate Counsel, Auto Servicing/Licensing
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America two years in a row. We have delivered over $25 billion in affordable and responsible credit to our 2.7M customers. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come work with us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
Upgrade’s growing Legal team is seeking an attorney to focus on providing legal guidance related to auto servicing and licensing. You’ll work cross-functionally as we obtain new licenses, develop and revise procedures related to auto servicing and help address and resolve issues that may arise related to Upgrade’s auto product. The legal issues you'll encounter are cutting edge and always evolving. The successful candidate will have relevant subject matter expertise and be skilled at effectively resolving issues, working collaboratively across business groups to drive successful outcomes that meet customer needs, business objectives and legal requirements.
This will be a hybrid role based in our Orange County office.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as subject-matter expert on laws and regulations applicable to our auto servicing activities and licensing.
- Review policies and procedures related to auto servicing by assessing legal risks while providing practical legal advice.
- Advise our operations and other business groups on all matters relating to auto servicing and licensing, including recognizing and mitigating legal issues related to account servicing and collateral.
- Anticipate issues, proactively manage risks, prioritize workload as necessary to meet deadlines in a fluctuating and sometimes ambiguous legal and business environment. Own your projects with a can-do attitude and a willingness to jump in where needed – no job is too big or too small – and some may not exactly fit in the four corners of this job description.
What We Look For:
- J.D. and membership in the Arizona and/or New York Bar in good standing
- 5+ years advising financial institutions/fintech companies related to auto and/or licensing as a lawyer at a leading law firm or in-house legal department
- Innate curiosity, desire and ability to learn rapidly
- Resiliency and comfort serving as a trusted business partner
- Quick adopter of new and evolving technology
- A team player with a sense of humor and self-awareness
Nice to Have:
- BigLaw and fintech startup experience
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.