Sustainable Packaging Senior Analytical Scientist
Job Title: Sustainable Packaging Senior Analytical Scientist
Location: Port Sunlight Research Lab
As part of our world-class ‘Future Packaging Technologies’ team, you will play a key role in the fibre-based packaging program, providing analytical expertise (in the broad areas of gas and liquid chromatography (GC & LC), and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), and mass spectroscopy, together with relevant extraction and preparation techniques) to generate insights that will support the delivery of affordable superior sustainable solutions across Unilever’s packaging portfolio.
Additionally, the role holder should also be able to manipulate and interrogate the data produced in the context of the products and substrate environment to generate insights and hypotheses regarding the scientific challenges in-hand. This will require the ability to utilise capabilities beyond just analytical chemistry and more related to surface and/or formulation science.
As an experienced Analytical Chemist, you will be responsible for coordinating the work programmes of more junior members of the team and work closely with Senior Analytical Chemists based in the Materials Innovation Factory in Liverpool, as well as other project teams based throughout the world to deliver to the disruptive packaging program and build future measurement capabilities.
- Lead the development of new and existing material characterisation techniques and provide technical training in material science and characterisation techniques for the team.
- Lead the characterisation and analysis of disruptive packaging material technologies to relate physical/chemical properties to packaging characteristics, performance and quality.
- Generate hypotheses and make recommendations to the Programme Director and project leaders to progress the programme.
- Work independently and co-ordinate the activities of others as required by the programme, and work with managers to develop and execute own work plans against key programme deliverables and milestones.
- Leverage the external world, liaising with existing and potentially new ecosystem partners in the development of future sustainable packaging materials, whilst developing and maintaining strong links across the multi-disciplinary project teams within the wider R&D community.
- Work with digital experts, learn and apply in silico tools to drive predictive modelling for new materials selection and optimisation.
- Generate and report robust data packages to support IP and claim generation.
ALL ABOUT YOU
We are looking for someone that shares our passion for innovation, applied material science and sustainability, and the drive to take our packaging portfolio to the next level. Our Packaging strategy is not just about understanding and developing new materials – it’s about making smart decisions on how, when, and where to use them. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary project team ethos where everybody contributes to achieving the same goal.
- We are looking for people with the right attitude, mindset and competencies. Experience working on the analysis, measurement and characterisation of complex mixtures is an essential requirement.
- Must be creative, highly passionate, high energy, willing to think big and inspire both the team and its stakeholders and customers.
- Must be flexible, agile, challenge the status quo, embrace transformational change and eager to work in multi-disciplinary teams and projects with good teamworking and networking skills.
- Must be a pro-active, self-starter; ability to multi-task and work to deadlines.
- Committed to continually develop your scientific, and competency skills.
Technical Qualifications and Experience
- A higher-education qualification (MSc or PhD) in Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry or equivalent.
- Relevant experience in application of analytical methods and/or assay development using GCMS.
- Experience of method development and validation is essential.
- Expertise in complex data manipulation, processing and visualisation.
- Experience of working in industrial innovation projects is desirable but not essential.
- Proactive problem solver with strong analytical skills and an ability to interpret data to pull out key insights.
- Ability to translate project science needs into technical requirements.
- Proven ability to generate and develop innovative approaches to solve problems or tackle opportunities.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary projects and teams. Work effectively with Industrial partners and academic institutions. Evidence of ability to develop strong networks to enable delivery.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with an ability to bring technologies and innovations to life in a clear and engaging way.
- Growth Mindset.
- Transformational mindset.
- Challenges the status-quo.
- Bias for Action.
- Accountability and Responsibility.
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Dove, Tresemme, Lynx, Lifebuoy, Shea Moisture, Persil, Domestos, Ben & Jerry’s, Magnum, Marmite, The Vegetarian Butcher, Graze and Pot Noodle.
Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace’
In September 2020, Unilever announced the intention to build a new sustainable campus site in Kingston, London to house the employees who currently work in 100 Victoria Embankment in Blackfriars, Lever House in Kingston and Graze in Richmond. We are creating our own Unilever sustainable, agile work environment, purposefully bringing us together in our own Unilever ecosystem. The campus is due to be completed in early 2025 and will consist of two interconnected buildings, as well as landscaped surrounding areas.
What We Offer
Not only do we offer a competitive salary and pension scheme, we also offer an annual bonus, subsidised gym membership, a discounted staff shop and shares. You’ll have the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and hybrid working environment.
Whilst the role is advertised on a full-time basis, we would be happy to discuss possible flexible working options and what this may look like for you. We are a key advocate of wellbeing and offer a variety of support for our people including hubs, programmes and development opportunities. We strive to achieve a family-friendly and inclusive workplace and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together for better business performance. We want to push boundaries, and have the flexibility needed to keep adapting in an ever-changing, more dynamic world. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
As part of your hiring journey, we are happy to support requests for reasonable adjustments, to improve your recruitment experience.
To find out more, including more information about our Employee Resource Groups, please click here.
Cyber criminals advertise fake job adverts with prestigious employers as a way of stealing information or even defrauding individuals out of money. In the most sophisticated cases, they will set up fake websites, which have a similar address to companies like Unilever. They even conduct fake telephone interviews and then offer candidates a role with the proviso they pay a fee for background checks or to cover work visa costs. These types of attacks are becoming more common as more people are looking for employment in the economic climate.
How is Unilever tackling this?
Many of Unilever’s recruitment sites publish a warning to candidates about recruitment fraud. The Cyber Security team also proactively scan for signs of people setting up fake Unilever sites and act to close them down.
What can I do?
If you become aware of potential recruitment fraud, spot fake Unilever recruitment adverts or fake LinkedIn profiles, report them via Una Live Chat.
Unilever does not accept responsibility or liability for any candidates who are financially impacted by recruitment fraud. Your vigilance is key!