Support the Production team by providing equipment repair and preventive maintenance services on sophisticated equipment in packaging and/or process areas to ensure continuous operation of machinery and production processes. Perform duties and responsibilities for the business unit consistent with company goals and business unit Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to include safety, quality, productivity and customer service.
- Job DescriptionJob Description
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(NOTE: The duties listed below are normal for this job. Incumbents are cross-trained and may perform any combination of the following duties/responsibilities. These duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.)
- Observes all safety guidelines, company rules and regulations, and good manufacturing practices (GMPs) in the performance of duties.
- Observes outlined safety procedures in all areas including repairing pipelines through which caustic chemicals flow.
- Responds immediately to equipment-related problems and installs, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs all equipment in the business area to ensure minimal downtime. Makes repairs on operating equipment in the processing and/or packaging operations.
- Observes and tests operation of sophisticated electronic, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and/or mechanical devices to evaluate, identify and resolve operating problems.
- Dismantles equipment and machinery to identify, remove, repair and/or replace damaged or deteriorated components and reassembles appropriately.
- Replaces faulty electrical components such as relays, switches, motors and position sensing devices.
- Monitors equipment meters and adjusts temperatures as needed.
- Monitors all equipment, instruments and connections of the scheduled sterilization process and identifies the required preventive maintenance, calibration and line checks.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment and machinery to include repair/replacement of electrical wires/connections, welding, re-soldering, lubrication of parts, cleaning of filters, recalibration of controls, changing line gaskets, adjusting components and/or cleaning of equipment.
- Maintains maintenance logs and work order documentation on equipment repairs.
- Troubleshoots programmable logic controls (PLCs) and PLC controlled equipment with a computer and various modules as diagnostic tools.
- May use a digital voltmeter, mega-ohm meter and/or AMP probes to diagnose electrical problems.
- Recommends continuous improvement ideas to the Maintenance Lead or the Maintenance Supervisor and provides information related to technical issues and equipment problems.
- Maintains an organized, clean and safe work area.
- Communicates well and works with Production Supervision to prioritize repairs and keep them informed on progress of same.
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) is required as well as a minimum of one (1) year of technical school training in electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, electronic, fluid and programmable logic controllers or completion of an approved apprentice program.
- Related experience in these fields and/or advanced training or any equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. A minimum of three (3) years industrial maintenance experience. Experience in Food Manufacturing environment preferred.
- Have taken and passed the Unilever Maintenance Exam.
- Production Employees must submit a resume and any related certification to Human Resources for verification of education and experience along with the job bid request.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Read and comprehend a variety of informational documentation, directions, instructions, methods and procedures, short correspondence and memos. Write simple reports and correspondence with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar. Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Requires the ability to add and subtract totals, multiply and divide in all units of measure (English and Metric), using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Must be able to determine percentages, time and weight and compute ratios. Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape. Must have sufficient visual acuity to properly place and align components.
Requires the ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Must be able to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Must be able to understand and interpret blueprints, engineering drawings, schematics, diagrams, engineering specifications and manufacturer’s operating instructions/manuals.
Requires the ability to raise, manipulate and maneuver tools, components and materials and handle a variety of items, equipment, control knobs, switches, etc. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. There are occasional requirements to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools and controls and reach with hands and arms. Must have average levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
Must be physically able to work in restricted spaces to access machinery and equipment components. Frequent standing and/or walking are required. Must be able to use body members to work, move, lift or carry heavy objects or materials. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for active work.
Must have the ability to talk (expressing and/or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words) and/or hear (perceiving sounds of nature by ear). Specific auditory acuity is required to detect inappropriate machinery sounds. Specific visual abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and color vision. Must be able to accurately distinguish colors for identification, tracing and matching of color-coded wires and components.
Work is regularly performed near moving mechanical parts in a production setting. Work is frequently performed in high places and near conveyors and there is frequent exposure to hot, wet and humid conditions. The incumbent may also experience frequent exposure to sharp metal objects, hot liquid food products, caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock as well as fumes, dust, mold and mildew in the atmosphere. Protective equipment must be worn when exposed to the aforementioned conditions. Work is performed in close proximity of moving forklift tractors.
Noise levels may exceed 80 decibels and hearing protection must be worn.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.