Information Security Lead, North America
Background & Purpose of the Job:
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home, and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 3.4 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Wall’s, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose as Unilever is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace’.
At Unilever, we’re determined to achieve a culture where everyone can thrive, a culture where all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, and where their uniqueness is celebrated. We’re taking a holistic approach that focuses on how we can use the scale and reach of our business to have the greatest impact in our own workplace and beyond. We’ve set clear goals to eliminate any bias and discrimination in our policies and practices, accelerate diverse representation in our leadership, and remove barriers for people with disabilities. At the same time, we’re setting out to spend more with diverse businesses and increasing representation of diverse groups in our advertising. Find out more about our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion on our website.
Unilever’s Cyber Security organization is a multi-disciplinary team responsible for protecting the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of our Information and Operations. Our Cyber Security organization runs a 24x7 Security Operations Centre (SOC), oversees a robust Security Architecture and associated technology landscape, provides Cyber Security Solution Engineering and Risk Advisory to our business, and assesses the security of our vast technology estate, including factories, to name but a few areas. Cyber Security sits as part of the Business Operations organizations, as a peer to Unilever’s Technology and Data functions and the broad Supply Chain agenda. Cyber Security is tasked with elevating, reporting on and influencing enterprise cyber security risk mitigation across Unilever. The Cyber Security function is made up of the Governance, Risk, Assurance, and Compliance (GRAC) team, the Tech & Ops team, the BISO teams, and the Office of the CISO.
This Information Security Lead role supports the BISO in securing Unilever’s business in North America (NAM). This includes cyber risk assessment across the region, including for third parties, representing to the regional businesses our central security services, applying those services to determine gaps in the regional security posture, consulting on appropriate risk mitigation approaches, managing the regional security exceptions, cyber incident response in the region, and elevating and reporting into the central Cyber Security function. These activities will be conducted with a ‘Risk Based’ approach to help individual businesses manage cyber risk in their area.
Who you are & what you do:
A vacancy exists for the Information Security Lead (ISL) for NAM within Unilever’s cyber function. The successful candidate will be responsible for the North America region achieving and maintaining Cyber Security objectives, standards, awareness, and compliance, defined using a ‘Risk Based’ approach. This leadership position will report to the regional Business Information Security Lead (BISO).
Key areas under this role delivered by the ISL team include:
- Cyber security solution engineering and risk advisory across Unilever businesses, assuring appropriate risk identification, assessment, mitigation, and reporting.
- Ensuring the deployment and running of security tooling in North America, in conjunction with the Tech & Ops team.
- Ensuring the Security Operations Centers (SOC) have full visibility across the ecosystem and actively participate in incident response at the direction of the Head of Incident Response.
- Developing and delivering risk reports for North America.
- Tailoring cyber training and awareness in North America in alignment and partnership with the Cyber Training and Awareness Lead.
- Leading cyber cultural transformation across North America in line with our Security Strategy and Transformation program.
- Maintaining and effectively directing the timely closure of security exceptions in businesses while reporting status to the Governance, Risk, Assurance and Compliance (GRAC) team.
- Providing standards and controls feedback, based on local implementation requirements to the GRAC team to help shape global policies and standards.
- Partner with the BISO for Supply Chain and BISO for R&D to ensure appropriate cyber risk mitigation for those functional areas within their region of responsibility.
- Testing business continuity planning (BCP) and disaster recovery (DR) in the region.
The position calls for a strategic individual with strong communication and influencing skills, who is able to roll their sleeves up tactically to understand business operations, digital transformation, cloud, applications, information technology (IT), operational technology (OT), internet of things (IoT) and Cybersecurity. This leader will utilize her/his knowledge and experience to assist with the implementation of an effective global cyber security program that ensures the overall cyber security posture of the company is aligned with business needs and balanced to protect in the evolving threat landscape. This role supports the Global CISO in building strong relationships with internal leaders and senior executives, along with the other senior Cyber Security leadership team, on matters of cyber security and cyber risk, to foster the execution of cyber security as a business enabler.
- Responsible for cyber security solution engineering and advisory across Unilever businesses in North America.
- Responsible for ensuring SOC visibility across North America.
- Responsible for cyber risk reporting within North America to the CISO and to the business leaders.
- Responsible for tailoring and delivering cyber training and awareness across North America.
- Responsible for encouraging and leading the cyber champions network participation across North America.
- Responsible for leading cyber cultural transformation efforts across North America.
- Responsible for maintaining and effectively directing timely closure of security exceptions in businesses across North America.
- Responsible for providing standards and controls feedback based on local implementation requirements/restrictions in order to refine global policies, standards and controls requirements.
- Partner with corporate audit for planned cyber security audit review across their region of responsibility.
- Identify, categorize and risk assess third parties for cyber security implications across their region of responsibility.
- Attract, develop, and lead a team of Information Security Leads and subject matter experts across the region, as planned for in the central cyber security budget and headcount plan.
What You’ll Need To Succeed:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and able to be understood by both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a senior team.
- The ability to lead through accountability with delegated responsibilities.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and multiple tasks.
- Stakeholder management and interpersonal skills at both a technical and non-technical level.
- Outstanding influencing ability.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Outstanding critical reasoning and problem-solving skills – sticking to the problem until it is resolved.
- Customer-orientated, whether responding to queries or delivering new services.
- Skills in Program and Project Management.
- A The role holder will have previously held a leadership role in Cyber Security.
- Experience of leading major programs across a global organization.
- Experience and proven track record in Cyber Security.
- Experience in providing thought leadership, and driving a complex change agenda, and an ability to challenge the “status quo”.
- Excellent strategic and operational business awareness, with a deep understanding of the key drivers, levers, issues and constraints of digital businesses.
- Experience within a customer focused environment.
- Knowledge of the applications or the technical landscape within the domain and experience of delivering Cyber Security projects to its demands.
Candidates would be required to demonstrate the Unilever Standards of Leadership & live the Values through showing the following behaviors:
- Agility – Flexes leadership style and plans to meet changing situations with urgency. Learns from the past, envisions the future, has a healthy dissatisfaction with the status quo.
- Talent Catalyst – Develops and magnifies the power of people. Creates an inclusive climate, empowering everyone to be at their best. Investing in people, coaching individuals, and teams to realise their full potential. Continually inspires powerful collaboration.
- Passion for High Performance – Inspires the energy needed to win, generating intensity and focus to motivate people to deliver results at speed.
What We Can Offer You
Pay: The pay range for this position is $200,600 to $300,000. Unilever takes into consideration a wide range of factors that are utilized in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience and training, licensure and certifications, qualifications and education, and other business and organizational needs.
Bonus: This position is bonus eligible.
Long-Term Incentive (LTI): This position is LTI eligible. Benefits: Unilever employees are eligible to participate in our benefits plan. Should the employee choose to participate, they can choose from a range of benefits to include, but is not limited to, health insurance (including prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage), retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, parental leave, sick leave, paid vacation and holidays, as well as access to numerous voluntary benefits. Any coverages for health insurance and retirement benefits will be in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans and associated governing plan documents.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.