Senior Marketing Manager (Memphis)
About the Fiber Moment in Memphis
With internet service providers (ISPs) around the country racing to build fiber networks in wealthy suburbs and the federal government investing $42.5B in internet infrastructure grants to reach unserved homes in rural America, it is clear that urban communities re being left behind in America’s current fiber revolution. Approximately 5 million rural households do not have access to internet service in their homes, but the digital divide is three times as large in urban areas—with around 15 million urban households lacking an internet connection. Nationwide, cable incumbents have been slow to upgrade their outdated urban coax networks to fiber-to-the-home infrastructure, and when they do they cherry-pick the wealthiest pockets of cities.
Enter Ting, an upstart ISP, part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC), a public company that has been making the Internet better since 1993. We are partnering with forward-thinking cities across the country to build citywide fiber networks, and changing what people expect from their internet service and their ISP along the way. Our first sixteen markets enabled us to cut our teeth as an ISP in suburban markets, giving us the opportunity to scale our construction, marketing, product, community engagement, and customer support operations. As our business is maturing, we’re continuing to build on that momentum to enter urban markets where the digital divide is most stark. That mindset led us to Memphis, a city ranked amongst the “Worst Connected Cities in America,” where we plan to bring citywide fiber internet service in partnership with Blue Suede Networks and The Vibranium Network.
About the opportunity
Ting is on the lookout for a seasoned, Memphis-based Senior Marketing Manager ready to embark on an exciting journey with us as we introduce our fiber internet service to Memphis. Memphis will be a distinctive market for Ting, giving us the opportunity to serve a community where over 40% of residents are eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and more than 45% do not have high-speed internet in their homes. Our mission at Ting is to address these connectivity gaps, and Memphis is one of the places where we're making this mission a reality by bringing fiber internet service to urban markets where incumbents won’t. When the network is complete, all Memphians will have access to Ting’s 2-gigabit symmetrical service, and ACP-eligible customers can receive the same exact service at no cost.
Memphis’s Senior Marketing Manager will play a pivotal role in this endeavor by collaborating closely with our National Marketing team, our Memphis marketing partner, The Vibranium Network, and a dynamic cross-functional local team. As our first local hire, the Memphis Senior Marketing Manager will have the unique opportunity to drive local partnerships with community organizations, the urban business community, and influential figures who share our vision.
We’re excited to build a local team who understands the importance of bringing world-class fiber internet service to Memphians to support them as they work, learn, and create community on the Internet.
- Develop data-driven strategies tailored to the Memphis community that increase brand awareness and drive pre-orders and orders to achieve market sales goals.
- Seamlessly implement national marketing processes and branding guidelines into the local market
- Operationalize high-level marketing strategies developed with Vibranium and implement them at the grassroots level
- Support Ting's collaborative effort with Blue Suede Networks and the City of Memphis to establish a digital equity program that encourages broadband adoption, connects residents to affordable devices, and offers digital skills training.
- Take charge of marketing budgets and sales tracking to ensure efficient resource allocation.
- Cultivate local sponsorships and community partnerships that align with our mission.
- Enthusiastically represent Ting at in-person events across Memphis, ranging from a neighborhood BBQ to a public lighting ceremony, as our local brand ambassador
- Collaborate with our internal creative teams, aligning market specific brand and campaign messaging with the framework of shared national programs.
Experience and qualifications
To excel in this role, we are looking for a candidate who possesses the following:
- A proud Memphian who is intensely connected to the local community
- A substantial 10-15 years of experience in sales and marketing, reflecting a track record of achievement.
- The ability to work independently in a results-driven environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience public speaking and being the local face of a brand.
- A history of meeting and exceeding sales targets.
- Profound knowledge of marketing strategies, concepts, and best practices, including experience in media buying, influencer marketing, and organic social media work.
- A knack for compiling and interpreting marketing analytics to support decision-making.
- Strong time management, organizational, and leadership skills.
- A genuine passion for advancing digital equity and working with low-income communities to connect them to economic opportunities.
- Experience working with remote teams and a background in the telecom industry would be advantageous.
- Familiarity with, marketing in radio, TV, or sports environments is also welcomed.
- Availability for frequent evening and weekend events and willingness to travel within the United States.
- Need reliable vehicle to transport event materials to and from events and ability to lift up to 50lbs. Mileage is reimbursed.
- Graduated with a business, marketing, or communication degree
Please note that this role will require consistent travel within Memphis, TN and in the US.
The base salary range for this position is $93,500 - $110,100. Range shown in $USD for US residents. Other countries will differ. Range may vary on a number of factors including, but not limited to: location, experience and qualifications. Tucows believes in a total rewards offering that includes fair compensation and generous benefits. Learn more about Tucows Benefits.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Ting and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Learn more about Tucows, our culture and employee benefits on our site here.