Staff Software Engineer, Data Persistence
As a Staff Software Engineer on Data Persistence, you will have the opportunities to contribute to one of the most foundational components of our platform architecture: our persistence layer. You will bring your experience managing a customer’s most critical asset, their data, to a team focused on developer experience while never sacrificing on business objectives. Our durable and highly available platform is a key component in keeping our current customers happy and will be a critical part of the sales cycle moving forward.
This role requires you to be work authorized in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
What will you do?
- Guide an evolving data persistence architecture to meet our best in class durability, availability and recovery objectives.
- Drive down our Recovery Point (RPO) and Time (RTO) Objectives in partnership with stakeholders from across the company.
- Seek to learn about the database developer experience and find opportunities to accelerate product development.
- Provide a constant focus on mitigating costs in an area that has a tangible impact on company profitability
- Participate in the entire software development process, from requirements and design reviews through the implementation of a new product
- Coach, mentor, and inspire teams of software engineers that are responsible for delivering high performing, secure enterprise applications
- Think creatively, own problems, seek solutions, and communicate clearly along the way
- Contribute to a collaborative environment rooted in learning, teaching, and transparency
Desired Skills and Experience
- 6+ years in a software engineering position or similar function, with a history of designing and developing new products and using new technologies
- 2+ years experience supporting relational databases hosted on AWS, preferably Aurora RDS
- Proficiency in SQL or an equivalent database query language
- A history of direct responsibility for managing customer data
- Understanding of core AWS offerings such as S3, Route53, Lambda, VPC
- Expertise in one or more of the following languages: Kotlin, Python, Typescript
- Ability to focus on short-term deliverables while maintaining a big-picture perspective
- A degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related discipline
- An aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Serious interest in having fun at work
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Deep understanding of SQL and query performance
- Experience managing the lifecycle of a database (i.e. upgrades, migrations)
- History of managing databases for an enterprise grade product
Ridgeline is the industry cloud platform for investment management. It was founded in 2017 by visionary entrepreneur Dave Duffield (co-founder of both PeopleSoft and Workday) to address the unique technology challenges of an industry in need of new thinking. We are building a modern platform in the public cloud, purpose-built for the investment management industry to empower business like never before.
Headquartered in Lake Tahoe with offices in Reno, Manhattan, and the Bay Area, Ridgeline is proud to have built a fast-growing, people-first company that has been recognized by Fast Company as a “Best Workplace for Innovators,” by LinkedIn as a “Top U.S. Startup,” and by The Software Report as a “Top 100 Software Company.”
Ridgeline is proud to be a community-minded, discrimination-free equal opportunity workplace.
Ridgeline processes the information you submit in connection with your application in accordance with the Ridgeline Applicant Privacy Statement. Please review the Ridgeline Applicant Privacy Statement in full to understand our privacy practices and contact us with any questions.
Compensation and Benefits
[For New York and California Based Only]
The typical starting salary range for new hires in this role is listed below. In select locations (including, the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, and the New York City Metro Area), an alternate range may apply as specified below.
The typical starting salary range for this role in the select locations listed above is: $175,000-$215,000.
Final compensation amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amount listed above.
As an employee at Ridgeline, you’ll have many opportunities for advancement in your career and can make a true impact on the product.
In addition to the base salary, 100% of Ridgeline employees can participate in our Company Stock Plan subject to the applicable Stock Option Agreement. We also offer rich benefits that reflect the kind of organization we want to be: one in which our employees feel valued and are inspired to bring their best selves to work. These include unlimited vacation, educational and wellness reimbursements, and $0 cost employee insurance plans. Please check out our Careers page for a more comprehensive overview of our perks and benefits.