Revenue Accounting Manager
Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
WHY WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU:
Retool is scaling quickly! To support this growth and help us achieve our long-term mission of bringing good software to everyone, we are building a world-class Finance and Accounting team. This team will serve as Retool’s “source of truth,” developing high-integrity financials that provide visibility into business performance, delivering insights that drive strategic decisions, and establishing operational rigor so we effectively manage our cash and risk. The Revenue Manager role will be essential in helping us build and scale this capability.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Retool is looking for a strong Revenue Accounting Manager to join our growing accounting team. Reporting to the Revenue Accounting Lead, the Revenue Accounting Manager will be the focal point on revenue recognition and contract structuring, supporting new product introduction, playing an integral role in our revenue accounting processes, working cross functionally with our sales and revenue operations team and other key stakeholders. This role will help build and uphold revenue recognition standards for Retool. We will also look to you to help us build processes, develop controls, and identify opportunities for automation that will help us scale. Finally, as a fast-growing business, there will be opportunities to lead special projects, which will enable you to expand your skill set while helping Retool build new accounting capabilities.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH:
You will join a small, mighty and growing Finance team that aspires to serve customers across the business with high-quality financial reporting and insights. In addition to working with different Finance team members, you will partner with teams across the business as we establish processes and the infrastructure required to support our growing business. We really like spending time with each other in person and believe in the power of in-person collaboration, creativity, and connection so we have returned in a hybrid capacity to our San Francisco office 3 days a week.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Serve as a subject matter expert on ASC 606 revenue accounting and the quote-to-cash process
- Oversee the accounting of multiple revenue streams as well as the design, implementation, and execution of scalable and effective processes for a more efficient close and strong control environment
- Establish formal accounting policies in accordance with US GAAP, prepare technical revenue accounting memos in compliance with US GAAP, and monitor relevant US GAAP developments to ensure revenue recognition policies are in compliance
- Review customer contracts for revenue recognition to ensure compliance with company policies and appropriate revenue recognition standards under ASC 606
- Review, document, and communicate any revenue impacts for customer contracts in accordance with Retool's revenue recognition policies and ASC 606
- Participate in the month end close process including preparation of journal entries, account analysis and reconciliation of revenue accounts to deliver timely and accurate financial results
- Work cross functionally to standardize procedures, drive process improvements and automation efforts to streamline revenue accounting operations and improve the quality of monthly, quarterly, and annual closes including internal controls
- Develop and provide technical revenue recognition training to cross functional teams, including sales and revenue operations
- Support special projects as needed including the implementation and / or maintenance of revenue accounting systems and tools
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other relevant field
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent, with Big 4 or large accounting firm experience
- 6+ years of relevant revenue recognition experience
- Prior experience at a start-up or other fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of US GAAP, ASC 606 and ASC 340 principles
- Strong organizational skills; a detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to work independently and across various functions
- Proven experience in customer contract reviews, subscription billing processes and systems, invoicing, and collections strategies
- Ability to partner cross-functionally across the company, and with external partners
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with the capacity to identify issues and implement solutions proactively, driving continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with NetSuite preferred
- Experience with Stripe and Salesforce a plus
- Prior experience with large datasets and SQL a plus
- SaaS revenue accounting experience is a plus
- Knowledge of sales tax is a plus
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Retool is currently set up to employ all roles in the US and specific roles in the UK. To find roles that can be employed in the UK, please refer to our careers page and review the indicated locations.