Sr. Backend Software Engineer (Billing Engineer) [Cambridge]
At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Senior Backend Software Engineer (Billing Engineer) [Cambridge]
Philo's video streaming product is a paid subscription service that includes a base plan and various add-on packages. We provide customers a simple, streamlined sign up, offering a variety of payment methods, including direct payments by card or digital wallet and external platform options (RokuPay, AmazonPay, Apple IAP, GooglePlay IAP) to best serve our users. We are continually looking to improve the overall user experience, subscription conversion rates, and payment performance through enhanced data collection, data analysis, and a broad range of experimentation.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Software Engineer to help us expand our billing offerings while also optimizing performance to benefit both our customers as well as our bottom line. As a member of a growing team, you will serve as both a technical leader to help us expand our billing system and as an internal subject matter expert on payment and subscription operations and optimization. You will work closely with the marketing team on various ways to offer novel promotions and packaging to help increase customer acquisition and retention, with the support team to assess, debug, and correct billing issues/errors, with the finance team on accounting and compliance, and with the data science team on instrumentation and analysis of core KPIs.
- Enhance, implement, deploy, and monitor the Philo multi-biller billing system
- Collaborate with our partners to engineer billing platform solutions that deliver the smoothest billing experience for Philo’s users and while optimizing overall performance (including, but not limited to: increasing conversion rates, tuning dunning performance, minimizing errors/confusion leading to support contacts, …)
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders across marketing, support, finance, and data science teams to ensure we are measuring and optimizing every aspect of our billing system
- Drive continuous improvements to the reliability, performance, accuracy, and security of Philo’s billing service
- Build and enhance tools to proactively monitor and quickly troubleshoot issues having to do with billing performance and accuracy
- Help build rock solid reporting systems that our finance and compliance teams can rely on for accurate reporting and analysis of key company financial results
- Provide technical leadership to other members of the team, including input on system architecture and design tradeoffs, as well as mentoring newer team members
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience developing with the programmatic API of 1 or more subscription and/or payment management providers (bonus points for experience with Philo’s payment provider, Stripe)
- Experience developing within the ecosystem of 1 or more product/billing platforms (RokuPay, AmazonPay, Apple IAP, or GooglePlay IAP are a plus)
- Familiarity with payment networks, card authorizations, dunning policies, refunds, chargebacks, and reversals
- Proven track record of building highly efficient and highly available software using Rails, Golang, Java, C++ or similar programming languages
- Experience operating in cloud computing environments using modern software deployment technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, AWS)
- Experience working with large amounts of data and making data-based decisions to prioritize projects, including familiarity with relational and non-relational databases and modern data warehousing and querying with SQL
- Experience in a people management or team lead role
- Experience and aptitude for collaborating and communicating with internal and external stakeholders in both business and technical roles
- Knowledge of billing/subscription ecosystem trends and changes that will impact how Philo manages our payment options in the years to come
We are language agnostic, but most of our backend code is written in Golang, NodeJS and Ruby, with some C++ and Python. Our services run on Kubernetes, and we practice continuous deployment across all of our systems.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: Cambridge, MA or remote
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $138K - $210K depending on experience and location, company stock options and health benefits
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2,000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5,250 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $1,250 Annual home office + TV stipend
- $500/month ($6,000/year) bonus for employees who commit to working at least 3 days per week in our offices
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors