Senior/Staff Data Scientist - Monetization
Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 315,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet your Future Neighbors
As a Data Scientist at Nextdoor, you will be responsible for design and oversight of product experiments, own complex analysis to drive company and product strategy, and deploy online and offline models to a production environment. We use a semi-embedded team structure, in which a group of data team members works on a specific product or pillar, interfacing directly with product and engineering stakeholders. The Data Science group is made up of people from a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives, trained in fields as wide-ranging as economics, psychology, geology, physics, statistics, and operations research.
At Nextdoor, we offer a warm and inclusive work environment that embraces a hybrid employment experience, providing a flexible experience for our valued employees.
The Impact You’ll Make
Join our Monetization team as a Data Scientist where your primary role will be to enhance revenue and advertiser value by providing data-driven insights into our advertising marketplace. You'll be instrumental in conducting experiments, crafting measurement methodologies to address complex issues within the ads ecosystem, and formulating innovative strategies for revenue growth. Your efforts will significantly contribute to the advancement and optimization of our core advertising products.
This role involves close collaboration with diverse teams including product, engineering, sales, and finance. You will be responsible for devising and executing metrics, analyses, solutions, and insights, providing practical recommendations to our business partners.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate strong technical skills, a keen understanding of ads products, and astute business insight, coupled with a desire to generate significant impact.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Becoming a systems expert across all parts of the Nextdoor Ads ecosystem
- Running experiments efficiently and accurately, including monitoring early feature development through tracking post-release follow-ups
- Developing and share strategic insights through data analysis, helping Nextdoor identify the next big opportunity for revenue growth
- Building scalable metrics and dashboards to inform product strategy
- Partnering with cross-functional teams to support product development efforts — including product, design, engineering, marketing, and operations
- Caring deeply about data quality and empowering employees to leverage data to help them drive product changes, and help Nextdoor grow
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
- 2+ years of experience working with ads or another monetization team
- Expert knowledge of SQL and database architecture
- Python programming, including common scientific computing packages and data science tools such as numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn
- Experience in applied statistics and statistical modeling in at least one statistical software package, preferably Python (and/or R)
- Experience in designing trustworthy experimentation and analyzing complex product a/b testing results
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience, including executives and compile compelling narratives
- Ability to solve ambiguous business problems with structured analytics framework
- Innate curiosity around finding meaningful insights that inform the way we think about and develop both our product and our business strategies
Compensation, benefits, perks, and recognition programs at Nextdoor come together to create one overall rewards package.
The starting salary for this role is expected to range from $162,000 to $240,000 on an annualized basis, or potentially greater in the event that your 'level' of proficiency exceeds the level expected for the role. Compensation may also vary by geography.
We also expect to award a meaningful equity grant for this role. With equal quarterly vesting, your first vest date would be within the first 3 months of your start date.
Overall, total compensation will vary depending on your relevant skills, experience, and qualifications.
We have you covered! Nextdoor employees can choose between a variety of great health plans. We cover 100% of your personal monthly premium for health, dental, and vision – and provide a OneMedical membership for concierge care.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For information about our collection and use of applicants’ personal information, please see Nextdoor's Personnel Privacy Notice, found here.