Social Impact Intern - Summer 2024
Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 305,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet Your Future Neighbors
The newly formed Nextdoor Kind Foundation and the Nextdoor Social Impact teams are on a mission to create a kinder world by sparking a movement of civic engagement by empowering small businesses, nonprofits, and individuals to become leaders in their communities by taking action in their own neighborhoods. In a world that is increasingly cynical, we believe in empowering people to make a difference one neighborhood at a time.
The Impact You’ll Make
Reporting directly into Shireen Santosham (HBS/HKS ‘09), you will help to lead strategic projects including working with technical product teams, and our data science team to increase civic engagement on the Nextdoor platform. Additionally, you will support philanthropic grant-making projects in conjunction with the NAACP and other partners. This role will also allow you access to Nextdoor CEO Sarah Friar, one of the leading CEOs in the world, while both creating social impact at scale while working at a cutting edge technology company.
Our paid internships are typically 10 weeks, based out of our office in San Francisco or New York City.
Key duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead a highly visible project to work cross-functionally with product, data science and consulting teams to understand demand for bringing more nonprofits onto the platform and drive civic engagementSupport the Executive Director of the Kind Foundation in scaling microgrant programs for small businesses, nonprofits, and individuals nationally and internationally
- Help to organize trainings, workshops and focus groups with local nonprofits and small businesses
- Help to organize high-profile internal events and speaker series for the Social Impact team at Nextdoor
- Lead strategic partnerships with other high profile technology and philanthropic organizations in Silicon Valley and beyond (e.g., Gates Foundation and NAACP)
- Support other business operations functions as needed, including prepping the CEO and the Executive Director for press and speaking engagements
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- Passion for social impact and technology
- Currently pursuing an education in a technical discipline
- Experience organizing large-scale events and securing strategic partnerships
- User-centric design or technology experience experience a plus
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
The intern Salary for this role is $3,650 biweekly, $7,300 a month ($87,600 a year).
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For information about our collection and use of applicants’ personal information, please see Nextdoor's Personnel Privacy Notice, found here.