Lead Combatants Designer, Games Studio (Blue)
Remote · United States
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
We’re looking for a veteran and highly-skilled Lead Combatants Designer to help us build a brand-new, AAA, multi-platform game.
The Lead Combatants Designer will partner closely with the Design Director to rapidly prototype and execute on an original game vision in a new IP. This person will also help build, hire, and manage a small team of designers.
The ideal candidate has a keen analytical mind and can not just arrive at the correct answer, but explain how they got there. They are able to lead with the “why,” and can clearly articulate their ideas verbally, visually, and in writing. They will have a strong technical background and be ready and willing to get their hands in the tools and lead by example. They are able to mentor other designers and elevate their design craft.
We're building the foundation of a small but ambitious team of creators. We care deeply about the experiences we create and, more importantly, with whom we're creating them. Here at Netflix, we value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix as we seek to entertain the world. We have over 200 million paid members in over 190 countries, and we won’t stop there.
- Collaborate with engineers, character artists, and animators to deliver world-class AI enemy combatants
- Enemy weapons, abilities, navigation, perception, and behaviors
- Behaviors/abilities provide players clear and compelling challenges
- Factions have a clear theme and cohesive set of mechanics
- Write design specs, vet them with stakeholders, and make smart adjustments
- Manage an effective testing and check-in review process
- Provide mentorship to more junior designers and elevate their craft
- Run regular playtests, gather useful feedback, and translate that feedback into action
- Assist in the hiring and management of other designers
- Understanding of behavior trees and AI navigation in Unreal Engine
- 5+ years of experience in a lead-design role
- Experience shipping high-quality multiplayer games
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Passion for playing, incubating, building, and shipping video games
- Expertise with Unreal 5 blueprints, content creation
- Programming experience in C++
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $90,000 - $470,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.