Manager, Tax Operations, State Income Tax
Los Gatos, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Netflix is one of the world’s leading entertainment services with over 260 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, films and games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can play, pause and resume watching as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, and can change their plans at any time.
We are seeking a State Income Tax Manager to join our Tax Operations Team, reporting to the Senior Director of Tax Operations. You will be responsible for all state income tax matters including state and local income tax compliance/provision, state income tax controversy, state legislative tracking/impact analysis, and state income tax research and planning. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader who can collaborate across the business, has a hands-on mentality, and a desire to jump right in and make a difference. We are excited to have you join our culture of high performance built around freedom and responsibility.
- Oversee preparation and review of US state and local income tax returns, quarterly estimates, and extensions.
- Assist the tax provision team with state tax calculations impacting the global tax provision.
- Track and evaluate proposed and enacted state tax legislation to assess the impact to the Company.
- Partner with the US planning team on state income tax planning; prepare memoranda, written correspondence and other documents as necessary to support conclusions.
- Oversee and manage state and local income tax audits and tax notices.
- Identify and oversee process improvement initiatives with respect to state income tax processes.
- Research complex state income tax issues and prepare technical memoranda.
- Continue to develop a system/approach to ensure the accuracy and completeness of work papers for all state income tax positions.
- Train and mentor staff including review and evaluation of their work as well as assistance in staff development.
- You embrace and advocate the Netflix culture and our long-term view.
- 10-12 years combined public accounting and industry experience, specializing in state income tax (technology or entertainment industry experience is a plus).
- Experience in identifying, analyzing, and communicating complex state income tax issues.
- Advanced knowledge of multi-state tax laws.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with the ability to use these skills to make quality decisions promptly.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and proven ability to develop professional relationships with internal and external parties.
- Ability to quickly understand and integrate business objectives with tax strategies, and effectively communicate tax requirements to tax and non-tax stakeholders.
- Ability to work proactively and independently in a fast-paced environment, a self-starter.
- Growth mindset with the ability to learn, change, and adapt quickly.
- Experience with OneSource tax compliance software is a plus.
- CPA and/or Masters in Taxation preferred.
- The role is ideally based in Los Gatos, CA, but we can be flexible for someone based in Los Angeles, CA.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $220,000 - $385,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Due to the nature and scope of this role, we will need to run a background check prior to starting with us.