Infrastructure Planner (L4)
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Netflix contributes significantly to internet traffic during peak hours, often representing double-digit percentages. We're actively working with Internet Service Providers to ensure our high-quality content is delivered both efficiently and cost-effectively. Today, we deliver 100% of Netflix content to 190 countries via Open Connect, our purpose-built content delivery network. We also strive to deliver a world class ecosystem to our content creators in every stage of the production process through technology and collaboration enabled by network infrastructure solutions. We need great infrastructure and networking professionals to help us manage the remarkable challenge and opportunity in these environments.
Individuals in this role are focused on network strategy, topology planning and acquisition for the portfolio of infrastructure required to support Netflix’s consumer products and internal corporate and creative workflows. They are responsible for ensuring Netflix maintains market-leading commercial structures across Netflix's portfolio of global network connectivity as well as its data center space, power and cross-connects. They work with architecture, engineering, capacity planning, partner engagement, finance, business operations and legal teams on a collaborative basis to ensure the infrastructure meets business requirements. This role actively negotiates with external vendors and sets long term procurement strategies. Additionally this role provides cross functional technical leadership and coordination across disciplines with an emphasis on developing long term infrastructure strategies that are scalable and efficient. This is a heavily external-facing role with day to day infrastructure planning and sourcing and large scale industry engagement and direction setting. At Netflix, this team incorporates multiple functions and job roles (as compared to our FAANG equivalents).
This role calls for an effective collaborator with essential skills and a keen interest in professional growth.
The day to day functions of this role are:
- Manage acquisition of infrastructure services
- Gather context, requirements and identify viable service providers
- Run and analyze complex RFIs including technical and commercial requirements
- Contract services including negotiation of service terms and pricing
- Promote and grow a healthy, global vendor ecosystem
- Develop and maintain the rolling plan for all infrastructure components including data center colocation and network connectivity globally
- Create financial models to compare solutions on technical and fiscal merits
- Consideration to failure domains and fault planning
- Understand technology trends in our service and the long term impacts on the infrastructure
- Balance solutions appropriately to the good, fast, cheap (pick 2) ideology
- Provide context on infrastructure to the organization
- Share industry and locality specific knowledge
- Determine key metrics and report them back to the business
- Develop and maintain visual dashboards on carrying capacity and financial metrics
- Identify and communicate cost sensitivities in the infrastructure
What does this really mean:
- This individual will manage space, power, cross connects and network connectivity for our global infrastructure portfolio servicing our Open Connect Backbone, our Data Centers, our Studio and Production locations, and our Corporate offices
- They intake forecasts or requirements from our stakeholders and using their knowledge of the industry, develop options and recommendations
- They effectively communicate requirements and context to downstream teams and functions
- They manage and curate relationships with existing and prospective vendors
- They gather and share industry trends and context with the organization and identify long term infrastructure trends and bets.
- They provide data back to the organization to help drive holistic decision making
Who you are:
- 5+ years of infrastructure planning experience and a passion for internet and networking innovation
- Expertise in the internet ecosystem and knowledge of physical colocation and network infrastructure
- Experience with vendor relationships, negotiating, contracting and performance management
- Basic understanding of financial analysis for scenario modeling and multi variable decision making
- Experience collaborating with and articulating recommendations to technical and non-technical audiences
- Confidence to take ownership of projects and make decisions in a fast-paced environment with minimal documentation and process
- The perspective that delivering results quickly, with iteration, is better than waiting for 100% perfection
Be sure to review our culture page to learn more about the unique Netflix culture and the opportunity to be part of our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $150,000 - $300,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.