Data Engineer (L5) - Content & Studio (Live TV)
Remote · United States
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Who are we?
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 260 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. This year we are starting a new journey by adding live content to our service, and we need your help!
The Content Data Engineering team, based in the entertainment capital of the world, is focused on providing our colleagues with rich data so that we can make decisions on what series and films will bring the most joy to our subscribers. We are part of a larger team that supports Netflix’s data-driven culture across marketing, streaming, product, and finance functions. As Netflix deepens its global reach and develops more and more amazing original content as well as brings well-known content from other distributors, the scope and impact of our team’s work in the content space is exploding. We are looking to add a new data engineer to our growing team in order to enable research, measurements, and decision-making for Live content.
Netflix offers amazing co-workers, new technology, fascinating analytical and technical challenges, and a Freedom & Responsibility Culture that's truly unique.
Who are you?
- Lazy in a productive way (find tedious work boring and would rather automate it).
- Curious, authentic, selfless, determined, and industrious, not just talented.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward.
- Have strong beliefs that are weakly held: you can deliberate, and hear, all sides of a discussion and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it.
- Sharp communicator who can break down and explain complex data problems in clear and concise language.
- Create code that is understandable, performant, and clean.
- Love freedom and hate being micromanaged. Given context, you're capable of self-direction.
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity with minimal oversight and process.
- Passionate about data quality and delivering effective data to impact the business.
- Motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education.
What will you do?
- Fully own critical portions of Netflix' Content data model. Collaborate with stakeholders to understand needs, model tables using data warehouse best practices, and develop data pipelines to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality data.
- Continually acquire new data sources to develop an increasingly rich dataset that characterizes content.
- Partner closely with data scientists, analytics engineers, and business stakeholders
- Be a bridge between data engineering and the business, enabling insight that can empower better decision-making.
- Be comfortable outside of your comfort zone - explore new tech and find new creative ways to address old and new problems.
What do you know?
- Build performant data pipelines.
- Expert data modeling skills.
- Write complex SQL in your sleep.
- Distributed Data processing - Spark, Flink, etc
- Fluent in Python, automation, and data orchestration frameworks.
- Experience with sourcing and modeling data from application APIs.
- Knowledge of MPP/Cloud data warehouse solutions (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, Vertica, etc).
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $170,000 - $720,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.