Senior Risk Strategist
Mercury is building a complete finance stack for startups. We work hard to create the easiest and safest banking* experience possible to simplify entrepreneurs' and business owners’ financial lives.
In order to achieve this vision, a robust risk management program that will seamlessly protect our customers, Mercury and the broader financial ecosystem from bad actors and illegal activities is essential. We’re looking to hire a risk strategist who will help uplevel our risk policies and processes, bring risk expertise and analytical approach to our risk strategy, and play a key role in building this important function.
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust, Members FDIC.
In this role, you will:
- Lead cross-functional efforts to strengthen risk controls, improve user experience and scale operations.
- Partner with Product, Eng, Compliance, Data Science, Support and rest of the Risk team to proactively build capabilities that enhance our ability to take good risks.
- Identify and address gaps and vulnerabilities in our system to reduce fraud and non-compliant product usage.
- Utilize data and quantitative analysis to build automated risk solutions.
- Make thoughtful risk / reward trade-offs and help set a long term strategy for risk problem areas.
- Become an expert on Mercury’s products, and Risk’s program, policies, and tools.
- Have 6+ years of experience in an analytical role, including 3+ years in Risk, Trust & Safety, or a related field.
- Have some experience with transaction monitoring/optimization or customer risk scoring/modeling.
- Have a strong product sense and user empathy.
- Possess strong SQL skills and experience in applying those to improve and monitor business performance.
- Enjoy building programs from the ground up, and collaborating with various teams to achieve results.
- Be an analytical thinker - you use data and reason to make your arguments and drive decisions.
- Be comfortable with decision making in a fast paced, ambiguous environment, while demonstrating curiosity and growth mindset.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees (any location): $173,600 - $204,200 USD
- Canadian employees (any location): CAD 158,000 - 185,800