Associate General Counsel
Who we are:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere, can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. We put you in the room with the creators, thinkers, makers and leaders who have changed the world, so that you can change yours.
Members get unprecedented access to 150+ instructors and classes across a wide variety of fields, including Arts & Entertainment, Business, Design & Style, Sports & Gaming, Writing and more. Step into Nas’ recording studio and Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen, and go behind the big screen with James Cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welteroth, get ready to win with Lewis Hamilton, perfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss.
It's a pivotal time for MasterClass – and we want you to be a part of the journey. With a HQ in San Francisco, an office in Waterloo, Ontario, and a studio in Los Angeles, we are looking to expand our team to support the business.
If you want to help make an impact on our members' lives – we want to hear from you!
What You Will Do:
- Counsel product development teams on a wide range of legal issues related to intellectual property, consumer protection, privacy, contracts, and regulatory compliance
- Develop and manage cross-functional data privacy program, including maintaining privacy policies, negotiating data processing addendums, partnering with security on vendor management and infosec, working with cross-functional partners on data mapping and impact assessments, DSRs, infosecurity, and consent management
- Oversee and manage litigation matters and pre-litigation disputes
- Collaborate cross-functionally with sales, product, engineering, security, senior leadership, and other members of the MasterClass team
- 8-12 years of total legal experience, including experience with privacy, intellectual property, and/or litigation (experience at nationally-recognized law firm focusing on privacy and/or litigation as well as broad-based, in-house experience at a technology or media company)
- Strong knowledge of consumer protection, intellectual property, data privacy, and contract law
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a startup environment
- Outstanding analytical ability, high judgment and strategic thinking capabilities
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally and to drive cross-functional alignment and action
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you. #LI-EC1
The salary range listed is for NYC/CA/WA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled.
MasterClass’s salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to salary, we also offer equity and comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible PTO, and more). The range listed is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.