Sr. Tax Associate, Client Tax Services & Solutions
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Do you love working with startups and SMBs? Do you enjoy learning new areas of tax law? This is your opportunity to join an innovative and growing team within Justworks’ Payment and Tax Unit. This role will explore and enable outstanding customer tax service delivery across the full range of tax market offerings that help SMBs on Justworks’ platform to take advantage of federal, state and local tax programs, improve compliance and create efficiency thereby creating value and helping their growth.
The Senior Associate of Client Tax Services and Solutions has a background in tax compliance or tax consulting for two or more business entities, including C-corps, S-Corps, LLCs, partnerships, and 501(c)(3)s.
Your focus in this role will be to support our existing tax related services and contribute to growing our service offerings. Working with internal stakeholders and external customers, you will help to shape the services and solutions.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Leverage your tax expertise to assist with projects that provide thought leadership and insights into general industry needs and business opportunities
- Contribute in developing creative strategies to make the vision a reality
- Assist with the compilation of executive reports that communicate insights and present findings on market behavior and industry trends as well as business cases including competitive landscape and developments trends
- Contribute to preparing in-depth analysis and assessment of our customer’s needs
- Help to promote and explain the benefits of the new offerings to internal teams and customers and be an integral part of executing go-to-market strategies
- Develop, implement, and maintain strong standard operating procedures around our tax service offerings. You’ll also become a subject matter expert in the programs and become a valued resource for others in our customer service functional areas
- Work with accountant partner firms and our marketing team to develop thought-leadership content and networking opportunities
- Handle complex escalated issues customers may have regarding taxes and Justworks products
- Help drive tax and accounting customer awareness and education, and perform other related responsibilities based on department and/or organizational need
- Create and optimize operational processes to enhance efficiency and productivity
- Perform detailed reviews of various tax credits and their supporting documentation, ensuring accuracy and compliance with applicable regulations
- Perform internal audits and reviews on tax credits and tax return filings to ensure accuracy, completeness, and adherence to regulatory requirements
- Assist with responses to complex questions and requests from various teams at Justworks (including Customer Success), helping build stronger internal stakeholder relationships
- Join customer calls to answer questions about tax credits and explain the submission process, calculations, and reconciliations
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of the Justworks payroll platform and educate team members
- Lead or assist in other special projects as assigned
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to provide insights and suggestions from an accountant's perspective
How You Will Do Your Work
- Collaborates - building partnerships and working together with others to meet shared objectives.
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Nimble learning - actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Adaptability - the ability to adjust your approach or actions in response to changes in your external environment.
- Creative thinking - discovering new opportunities and solutions for problems by looking beyond current practices and using innovative thinking.
- Minimum 3 years of experience at a Big 4 accounting firm providing tax consulting or tax compliance services in any of the following areas: income taxes, tax provisions, fixed assets, tax credits and incentives, state and local taxes, or mergers & acquisitions. No payroll tax experience required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with a variety of business entity types (C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, etc) from multiple industries.
- CPA license or eligibility for the CPA license required.
- Proficient with Excel, Power Point, Google Sheets, and Google Slides. Familiarity with Tableau, Alteryx, or practical experience with SQL is a plus.
- Experience with reading, interpreting, and communicating complex federal and state legislation.
- Experience with the Employee Retention Tax Credit, including eligibility criteria and calculations, preferred.
- Good business partnership instincts: an ability to quickly develop trusted relationships among functional peers.
- Good communication skills that are suitable for a fast paced, rapid decision-making environment
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service while simplifying complex tax and accounting issues for clients.
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $97,000.00 to $106,700.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.