Senior Engineering Manager, Infrastructure Security
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead all of our infrastructure and security operations work. This consists of three teams, infrastructure security, corporate security, and detection and response. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from supporting thousands of concurrent shoppers and processing millions of data points in real time, to determining the best route for deliveries and predicting store inventory levels.
Our goal is to run the world's most trusted and secure grocery delivery platform. We work across all layers of our infrastructure to ensure we deploy trustworthy systems and protect our customers’, shoppers’, and partners’ data. Additionally, as the lead for our infrastructure and detection work, you will be responsible for ensuring the security and safety of Instacart’s thousands of remote employees, and multi-cloud production environment.
About the Team
The security engineering team is organized into two groups, product security and privacy, and infrastructure security and operations.
For this role, your teams are responsible for ensuring Instacart’s infrastructure both corporate and production are secure, and that we have good visibility into what is happening across our network. They are responsible for building the security controls and frameworks that engineers use when deploying and managing their services, and a detection platform that can give your team confidence that people are doing the right thing.
About the Job
- You will manage and mentor a world class team of junior to principal security engineers.
- Deploy the systems and automations that ensure our corporate network has best in class security.
- Be the face of security while planning and advising teams like infrastructure engineering, data platform engineering, legal, and product.
- Partner with Instacart subsidiaries to help drive security improvements across their cloud and production environments.
- Own and manage Instacart’s infrastructure security roadmap.
- 10+ years of experience in the Information Security field, including operational security monitoring experience
- Experience managing and working in cloud environments, and container security.
- Experience in corporate security systems and best practices relating to zero trust environments, Okta, and GSuite.
- Experience developing tools and automation using common devops toolsets and programming languages
- Experience working in or with SRE and detection engineering and response teams
- Experience managing and developing incident response functions and policies inside and outside engineering.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to serve as a security advocate and evangelist
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience leading multiple geographically dispersed teams.
- Proven ability to take detection and response functions from 0 to 1.
- Python scripting experience
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.