Head of Policy, Product, and Privacy Legal
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role will collaborate in person 4 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to different hubs. It is preferred that they live within a commutable distance of their home hub of San Francisco, but other US locations may be considered for strong candidates. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
Grammarly is the world’s leading AI writing assistance company trusted by over 30 million people and 70,000 professional teams every day. From instantly creating a first draft to perfecting every message, Grammarly’s product offerings help people at 96% of the Fortune 500 get their point across—and get results. Grammarly has been profitable for over a decade because we’ve stayed true to our values and built an enterprise-grade product that’s secure, reliable, and helps people do their best work—without selling their data. We’re proud to be one of Inc.’s best workplaces, a Glassdoor Best Place to Work, one of TIME’s 100 Most Influential Companies, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in AI.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Head of Product and Privacy Legal to join Grammarly’s Legal team to manage and scale our world-class Product and Privacy legal function. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, Grammarly’s Head of Product and Privacy Legal will lead and manage an outstanding team that partners closely with our Engineering, Product Development, Trust and Security, Marketing, Compliance, and Communications teams to ensure Grammarly maintains the trust of our millions of daily users in the development and release of cutting-edge AI products, models and technologies globally. This is a unique opportunity to engage directly with some of the most exciting issues in the legal and AI fields and be at the forefront of Grammarly’s product and privacy program. As a core member and leader on the Grammarly Legal team, this person will also help develop the culture of the Legal team by exemplifying care for their craft, care for others, and a commitment to finding solutions to complex questions.
As Grammarly’s Head of Product and Privacy Legal, you will leverage your experience and expertise to support and accelerate Grammarly's next era of growth. This role will be a crucial partner to Grammarly’s executive team and team members across the business. You and your team will take on critical and high-profile product, policy, and privacy counseling projects with accuracy, creativity, and ownership at the intersection of law, business, policy, and technology.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and mentor a high-performing team responsible for being the go-to counsel and partner for teams focused on novel product and technology development and addressing new and evolving privacy, security, and regulatory requirements across Grammarly’s product offerings.
- Act as the lead business partner and escalation point for all product legal requests.
- Collaborate cross-functionally across the company at every level to identify and address product, regulatory, privacy, and other legal risks and mitigations.
- Manage Grammarly’s IP portfolio, including counseling on trademarks, branding, patents, copyrights, trade secrets, and open source.
- Stay abreast of, assess, and communicate across the company on rapidly developing trends in global data privacy, artificial intelligence, LLMs, data security, and compliance laws and regulations.
- Identify, design, and implement processes that support and keep pace with product innovations while ensuring compliance and internal risk tolerance.
- Develop strategies for handling legal issues in creative ways and build processes for scaling flexible solutions that address risk.
- Translate between legal frameworks and technical details to help develop practical solutions considering both aspects while collaborating successfully with stakeholders.
- Engage with external stakeholders, including regulatory authorities and industry groups, to advocate for favorable policy frameworks.
- Be a cross-functional leader and ensure our work is cohesive, thoughtfully crafted, and executed.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is inspired by our MOVE principles, which are the blueprint for how things get done at Grammarly: move fast and learn faster, obsess about creating customer value, value impact over activity, and embrace healthy disagreement rooted in trust.
- Is able to collaborate in person in San Francisco and potentially other hubs 4 weeks per quarter.
- Has extensive experience (10+ years) in product counseling, including privacy, data protection, intellectual property, regulatory, and consumer protection, preferably within the SaaS and/or AI domains, with a minimum of 4 years as a manager.
- Has experience supporting product management, security, and engineering business partners at an innovative technology company and a track record of driving alignment and delivering results on complex, cross-functional projects involving various stakeholders.
- Brings a strong understanding of industry regulations, policy frameworks, and laws.
- Shows a track record of managing, developing, and empowering teams.
- Demonstrates excellent time management skills to juggle multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Is comfortable working with cross-functional teams and advising senior leaders on risk tolerance and balancing to drive the business forward.
- Communicates clearly and empathetically both face-to-face and in writing.
- Holds a JD and has been admitted to the bar, with a license to practice law in at least one US state.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options401(k) matching (US only)
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this San Francisco-based position are outlined below and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.