Senior Patient Support Specialist - Poughkeepsie, NY - 2209213
One of five regions in the Optum nationwide network, Optum Tri-State comprises three large multispecialty groups, Optum Tri-State Medical, ProHEALTH NY, and Riverside Medical Group. Optum Tri-State brings patients local care, backed by national expertise. As a premier provider of health care services, Optum Tri-State offers services including primary care, urgent care, a diverse range of specialty care, outpatient surgery, and imaging. The regions draws on the knowledge of leading doctors and healthcare experts to help 1.6 million patients across 630 locations access high quality, affordable healthcare within their community.
Together, for better health, Optum is committed to providing the highest standard of comprehensive medical care in a patient-centered and compassionate environment, with the comfort and convenience of being close to home.
If helping people live their healthiest lives is attractive to you, Optum is the place to be!
The Senior Patient Support Specialist provides superior service and support to all patients calling Optum Tri-State’s Contact Center. As a Senior Patient Support Specialist, you’ll play a critical role in promoting an environment of continuous improvement and best practices. Bring your listening skills, critical thinking skills and attention to detail in order to support Patient Support Specialists. to cultivate a quality experience for our patients.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 9:30am – 6:00pm EST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at 6 Neptune Rd Poughkeepsie, NY.
We offer weeks of paid training. The hours of training will be based on your schedule or will be discussed on your first day of employment.
- Receive and handle 90+ calls to schedule appointments for physicals, office and sick visits, consults, hospital follow ups, annual wellness exams and CDL exams across defined medical specialties.
- Possess solid knowledge of scheduling guidelines and is well versed in all policies and services provided by Optum Tri-State. Utilizes all available resources; including Knowledgebase, iCare and websites to provide patients with accurate and appropriate information.
- Maintains general insurance knowledge and utilizes appropriate resources to evaluate insurance participation. Registers new patients, verifies accuracy of information and updates patient contact and account information per policy and procedures.
- Collect pertinent details and communicate effectively to create concise tasks to clinical team members.
- Maintains expert knowledge of after-hours protocol and weekend operations.
- Apply Patient Experience Tenants and provide exceptional care by achieving one-call resolution through expert scheduling capabilities, in a courteous and professional manner.
- Research and troubleshoot scheduling/operational challenges, taking all necessary steps to resolve and ensure full resolution. Report issues to Leadership team and proactively make recommendations/suggest solutions.
- Acts as a point of escalation for Patient Support Specialists and handles urgent/emergent calls according to specified procedures.
- Provides assistance, guidance and on-the-job training to Patient Support Specialists and new hires.
- Takes initiative to collaborate with Leadership team and participates in cross functional focus groups for opportunities to cross-train and advance in skill/career development.
- Participate in weekly huddles and team meetings for updates and refreshers on call center processes, procedures and systems.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED OR equivalent experience
- 2+ years of call center or high-volume customer service phone experience.
- 1+ years in a call center in a medical practice environment
- Must be 18 years OR older
- Ability to work any 8-hour shift between the hours of 9:30am – 6:00pm EST from Monday – Friday including the flexibility to work occasional overtime and weekends based on business need
- 2+ years of experience in a Large multi-specialty group medical practice experience
- Computer skills – Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
New York Residents Only: The hourly range for New York residents is $16.54 – $32.55 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.