Nurse Intern - Field Case Manager STAR Kids - 2210870
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products, and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
At Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, you will join a community-based, multi-specialty, physician-led organization where you will work with talented peers on a common purpose: improving the quality, cost, and experience of health care. Here, we focus on delivering the best patient care, rather than volume. Through innovation and superior care management, we support patients and your well-being as a team member. Join a team at the forefront of value-based care and discover the meaning behind.
The Nursing Internship Program is full-time, 40 hours per week for 10 weeks starting June 3, 2024.
This position does travel to visit patients in their homes across a designated territory in the Rio Grande Valley, and mileage reimbursement is provided.
The Nursing Internship Program is designed to provide nursing students the opportunity to gain hands on experience in areas within the nursing field outside of hospital bed-side patient care. During the experience you will get exposure to patient care needs through the healthcare continuum, enrichment opportunities such as the UHG Corporate Headquarters Experience, Day in the Life of a Nurse Series, Enterprise Foundations, networking, and student cohort connections.
As a Nurse Intern for the STAR Kids Program, you will learn how to manage the care of members in their homes or other community settings by completing in-person health assessments and coordinating patient care, focusing on disease management, and keeping members healthy and independent. Under the supervision of our RNs and providers, you will learn how to:
- Engage members / families in their homes or in a facility to coordinate services, community resources and treatment.
- Travel in assigned territory to complete member assessments; the rest of the time will be spent working in a home-based office.
- Deliver coordinated holistic care based on the member’s needs using a patient centric approach.
- Identify early risk factors and conduct ongoing assessments and document in an electronic patient files.
- Create, review and revise care plans and focus on a holistic approach.
- Function as an advocate for members.
- Collaborate with the member’s PCP to deliver and coordinate necessary services.
- Build relationships with members and their families, assisting them with coordination of health choices.
- Ensure cases are documented in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with other state agencies, community resources and providers.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited RN Bachelors Degree program with graduation anticipated within 12 months of internship.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours per week during the duration of the summer internship program (from June 3 – August 9)
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of clinical terminology
- Experience with infusion therapy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.