Patient Services Representative - 2210814
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data, and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.SM
The Patient Services Representative is responsible for the registration of patients to the Practice and performs duties related to patient/visitor centered customer service.
Location: 95 Crystal Run Road, Middletown, NY 10941
- Adheres to standards of professionalism set by the Practice
- Always maintains professional appearance by adhering to dress code and wearing identification badge
- Demonstrates and maintains professionalism in behavior and courtesy toward the patients and staff
- Respects confidentiality and is HIPAA compliant in all aspects of communication regarding patient, Practice, and staff members
- Functions as a member of a team committed to quality patient care
- Takes initiative to keep informed of new/revised Policy and Procedures, Standards of Care and incorporates these into practice
- Attends and participates in mandatory quarterly staff meetings or reads minutes.
- Completes Mandatory Education annually
- Attends/participates in training/review classes and projects as assigned
- Handles difficult situations and people with tact, professionalism, and H.E.A.R.T
- Demonstrates good judgment in escalating difficult situations and people to Management personnel
- Demonstrates professionalism in attendance & punctuality. Consider number of unauthorized or unscheduled absences, a pattern of before and after weekend absences, tardiness and early departures, and long meal periods in accordance with CRHC policy
- Promotes a positive work attitude fostering teamwork and acceptance of management decisions
- Supports peer to peer training initiative for new Patient Services employees.
- Assists co-workers whenever possible, to achieve office goals / patient satisfaction
- Works independently, takes initiative in completing assignments and does so without reminder
- Completes all miscellaneous work assigned by Director/Supervisor or Physician accurately and in a timely manner
- Opens office as needed; turns on copiers, terminals and printers, and updates computer for current day’s session
- Communicates with clinical staff to keep patient informed of appointment status
- Verifies insurance eligibility and coverage by phone, independent website, RTS, Phreesia, or Clearwave at time of service
- Verifies patient demographic and insurance information at time of visit. Assures all demographic and insurance information is accurate, complete, and up to date in the patient’s chart. Scans current insurance card and photo identification into system
- Provides, explains and reviews for accurate completion, all Registration forms, i.e., Patient Representative, Patient Registration form, Family Information form, and Text Addendum where applicable and obtains signatures as required
- Provides and explains the Authorization to Release Health Information to patient at their request
- Determines balances due including past balance, co-payments, co-insurance, and deductibles, referring to Patient Accounts as necessary; takes responsibility for collecting and posting payments from patients at time of service via checks, cash or credit card in compliance with Cash Control Policies and Procedures
- Assigns NextMD tokens in compliance with Meaningful Use guidelines
- Provides After visit Summary in compliance with ACO guidelines
- Prepares Batch Report daily to total and balance collections
- Begins the check in process in EPM, Phreesia, Clearwave, and Siemens. Act on notations in all systems and completes the auto-flow process successfully
- Schedules/Cancels/Reschedules patient appointments as ordered by the physician adhering to scheduling policies and procedures
- Obtains or issues HMO insurance referrals as required for maximum reimbursement of services rendered
- Notifies management or other departments appropriately using Clerical Templates for various issues/requests/reasons
- Maintains supply inventories and equipment necessary for the effective performance of the job; communicates supply needs to the office supervisor in a timely manner
- Maintains a neat, organized, orderly environment in the reception and waiting room areas, i.e., magazines, physician business cards, brochures, signage, etc.
- Closes office as needed, ensuring that lights, terminals, and office machines have been turned off and all patients accounted for and discharged. May be required to set alarm
- Actively demonstrates good oral and written communication skills with both internal and external customers
- Demonstrates flexibility in schedule to meet patient and office needs
- Works with a sense of urgency
- Performs other tasks as required for the effective and efficient functioning of the Practice when directed to do so by Supervisory and Managerial personnel
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma/GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of administrative experience in a medical/healthcare setting
- Intermediate level of computer proficiency
- Ability to work 8 hours per day, Monday – Friday between the hours of 10:00am – 8:00pm
New York Residents Only: The salary range for New York residents is $16.00 to $28.27 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.