Direct to Consumer Sales Co-op - Columbus, OH - 2203623
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
You’ll be at the intersection of sales and healthcare, about to create the next incredible solution for insurance customers aged 65 and older. If you want to advance your learning in a technological environment that’s always pushing the envelope, you’ve come to the right place. The Direct-to-Consumer Sales team, part of UnitedHealthcare’s thriving family of businesses, is a team of people who are passionate about using consultative sales to help improve the lives of millions and make health care work better for all. Throughout your 6-month Co-op Early Careers internship experience, you’ll be licensed and credentialed as a Medicare Insurance Professional. You’ll be trained on the tools and products, as well as the sales and compliance techniques to serve as a trusted agent for potential customers. In addition, the Co-op offers networking, collaboration opportunities and mentorship from experienced insurance professionals and leaders. The intent of our Co-op program is to provide return internship opportunities or full-time employment opportunities at UnitedHealthcare in Direct-to-Consumer Sales.
Key Information Regarding the Co-op Program:
- This full-time Co-op position will be available for the Summer/Fall semester, starting Monday, June 10, 2024 (unlicensed). If already licensed with an active Life and Health Insurance License when hired, start date is Monday, June 17, 2024
- Sponsorship is not available for this position
- Generally, this means that students have limited, additional coursework (0 – 6 credit hours for the fall semester), along with outside commitments that are flexible to the agreed-upon work hours for the duration of the Co-op
- This is not a situation where hours and location of work are at the discretion of the student; hours are agreed upon, in advance, with the Co-op supervisor, and work location needs to be a protected health information (PHI) compliant space (no coffee shops or generally other ‘open’ Wi-Fi networks are to be used)
- Operating hours: Monday – Friday 7:00AM – 9:00PM EST; your shift will be provided during training with rotational weekend work
- Full time position with flexibility desired based on the seasonality of our business
- Fast forward your success by participating in our onsite training program in a standard day shift for 9 weeks
- Site location: 5900 Parkwood Place, Dublin OH 43016
- Training fully onsite
- Remote schedule after the completion of training if you are not within a 30-mile radius of the office location in Dublin (hybrid schedule if you are within a 30-mile radius)
If you are located in Columbus, OH, you will have the flexibility to work remotely *, as well as work in the office as you take on some tough challenges.
- Successfully become licensed in health & life within your resident state within first 30 days of Co-op, if not already licensed
- Mainly handling inbound calling, NO knocking on doors
- Answer incoming phone calls from prospective members and identify the type of assistance and information the customer needs with the goal to convert the caller to a qualified lead and ultimately sale
- Ask appropriate questions and listen actively to identify specific questions or issues while documenting required information in computer systems
- Using knowledge of the product portfolio to accurately assess the distinct needs of different prospects, explain the differences between various products, and assist the prospect member in selecting a product that best meets their unique needs
- May make outbound calls to members to follow up on questions or to current members to review current or new products and services
- Assist the prospect in completion of the enrollment application over the phone with complete, accurate and required information, consistent with product requirements and enrollment guidelines
- Meet the goals established for the position in the areas of performance, attendance, and consumer experience
- Meet and maintain requirements for agent licensure, appointments, and annual product certification
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Actively enrolled in an accredited college/university during the duration of the Co-op. Not intended for graduating seniors
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during full hours of operation, 7 am – 9:00 pm EST, based upon business need (training is typically 8 am – 4:45 pm EST for approximately the first 9 weeks; evening & weekends may be required post-training)
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization. F-1 visa holders with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require visa sponsorship, TN visa holders, current H-1B visa holders, and/or those requiring green card sponsorship will not be considered
- Pursuing a degree in Sales, Business, Communication, Healthcare or Insurance
- Work or volunteer experience in sales, customer service, health care, or health insurance
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.