Patient Care Coordinator at Primary Care Plus - 2205106
At UnitedHealthcare, we’re simplifying the health care experience, creating healthier communities and removing barriers to quality care. The work you do here impacts the lives of millions of people for the better. Come build the health care system of tomorrow, making it more responsive, affordable and equitable. Ready to make a difference? Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
As an active participant of the primary care patient centered medical home team, the Patient Services Representative engages in a collaborative process with members of a multidisciplinary team which may include a Physician, Nurse Practitioner, RN Care Manager, Social Worker, Clinic Manager, LPN, and Medical Assistant. The team assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors and evaluates options and services to meet a patient’s health needs through communication and utilization of available resources to promote efficient, quality outcomes.
The Patient Services Representative supports the care team by performing various functions such as greeting and assisting patients, scheduling and canceling appointments, answering and triaging phone calls, recording telephone messages in the electronic medical record (EMR) and forwarding to the appropriate team member. This position ensures that key information is collected and documented in the EMR which enables the care team to identify the patient’s primary care provider, contact the patient via phone or mail, identify language barriers, and to identify coverage issues that may impact a patient’s ability to access specialty care or diagnostic services.
The Patient Services Representative interacts with the patient at the beginning and end of every telephone or face to face encounter with the clinic. They provide instruction, reinforcement, documentation, and serve as a liaison between patients and the medical support staff to ensure a collaborative effort is maintained that results in efficient and optimal delivery of services.
- Make outbound calls for the purpose of confirming and rescheduling appointments according to protocol and other special projects
- Answer telephone, record and direct messages appropriately in the EMR, and screen and direct calls
- Enter patient data in the EMR and create global alerts in the EMR to ensure all needed demographics, HIPAA Privacy Notice Acknowledgements, Advance Directives, etc. are properly documented and followed according to protocol
- Create spreadsheets and documents when necessary
- Greet patients, answer questions promptly and in a courteous, helpful manner
- Ensure patient’s information is accurate and make changes if necessary
- Create and mail new patient packets and enter information accordingly
- Check patients in and out at time of entry and exiting their appointments
- Collect appropriate fees at time of service
- Maintain work area and lobby in neat and orderly manner
- Adhere to guidelines concerning work hours and dress codes
- Balance cash drawers at end of business day
- Adhere to patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to multi-task in a busy environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and basic computer skills
- Excellent telephone manners and etiquette
- Ability to pleasantly interact with patients and co-workers
- Ability to speak clearly, read and understand oral and written directions
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to handle cash
- Detail-oriented, organized and self- motivated
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years of experience as a receptionist or administrative assistant in a medical facility or clinical setting
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- EMR experience
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.