Phlebotomist - 2209885
$2,000 Sign On Bonus for External Candidates
Opportunities with Optum in the Tri-State region (formerly CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH New York and Riverside Medical Group). Come make a difference in the lives of people who turn to us for care at one of our hundreds of locations across New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Work with state-of-the-art technology and brilliant co-workers who share your passion for helping people feel their best. Join a dynamic health care organization and discover the meaning behind Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Phlebotomist performs venipuncture and capillary puncture on adults, neonates, and pediatric patients; collects urine specimens; performs EKG and spirometry on adult and pediatric patients; participates in the instruction of new personnel; works with computer; communicates in a manner that promotes Laboratory professionalism as well as a comfortable phlebotomy.
- Blood collection: from adult and pediatric patients using vacutainer, syringe and butterfly techniques; capillary puncture using heel and fingerstick techniques
- Identifies and labels specimens appropriately
- Instructs patients in regard to urine and stool collection procedures
- Enters accessioning data into the computer
- Prepares specimens for send out testing
- Inventories supplies and prepares phlebotomy stations to effectively collect blood
- Attends required meetings
- Enhances professional growth and development through inservice meetings and education programs
- Performs EKG, Holter Monitor, and Spirometry procedures
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Performs related work as required
- Provide Surgical Scheduling, precertification and scheduling maintenance of surgeries for one or more Physicians
- Provide quality Customer Service to the patients and visitors courteously and promptly
- Must possess solid interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with co-workers, Management Staff, and Physicians
- Provide surgical instructions, communicate patient financial responsibility, and secure prepayment from patients and/or financial agreements according to established policies and procedures
- Must be able to work effectively and cooperatively as a team member, balancing both the support of the physician(s) and following the financial policies established by CAREMOUNT MEDICAL and ASCW
- Demonstrate professionalism in appearance and actions with patients, staff, Physicians and Administrators at all times
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information
- Other duties may be assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 1+ years of phlebotomy (Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement)
- Certification from an accredited phlebotomy diploma program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques to perform blood, urine and stool collection
- Knowledge of container and minimum volume requirements for specimen collection. Knowledge regarding the technical correctness of EKG and spirometry printouts
- Knowledge regarding the proper attachment of a Holter monitor
- Skill in labeling and dispersing specimens to appropriate stations
- Skill in interacting with patients representing a broad physical and socioeconomic spectrum. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, laboratory staff and medical staff
Typical Physical Demands:
- Full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Frequent standing, walking and bending required for extended periods of time
- Be able to support the body weight of an adult patient when moving from a chair to an exam table
- Visual acuity and normal color perception
Working Conditions: Exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a medical group and laboratory environment.
New York Residents Only: The hourly range for New York residents is $16.00 to $28.27 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group, is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group,is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.