Medical Assistant - Part Time - 2192585
Careers with MedExpress. At MedExpress, we believe in delivering quality, convenient, affordable health care and exceeding our patients’ expectations. Our neighborhood medical centers are open every day from 8-8 with a full medical team and no appointments necessary to help patients get in, get healthy, and get back to what’s really important. We provide a broad scope of services including urgent care, basic wellness and prevention, and employer health services. As part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we’re working together to help people live healthier lives and to help the health system work better for everyone. You can become part of our elite team almost anywhere with 250 MedExpress centers across the country and two administrative offices in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh, PA. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Medical Assistant is responsible for ensuring the well-being of patients and for providing a positive, supportive environment for patients and other staff while working in conjunction with physicians, advanced practice clinicians, front office and clinical staff. The successful Medical Assistant will have solid communication skills and a dedication to customer service and patient care.
This role is center-based and requires working in a clinical setting. The noise level is moderate and there is a potential for exposure to infectious diseases and blood-borne pathogens. It requires the ability to stand and sit for hours at a time (with some bending and stooping), ability to use manual dexterity in relation to clinical requirements, and ability to lift 50 lbs. Hours may vary based on location, patient volume, and business needs.
- Perform clinical intake with patients to include taking and recording vital signs and patient history
- Complete provider orders per state and provider regulations
- Assist patients as needed with walking, transfer, specimen collection, exam preparation, etc.
- Complete occupational health testing including such services as urine drug screens, breath alcohol testing, hair testing and physicals
- Complete patient referrals and patient callbacks daily
- Proper, concise and complete EMR documentation and paper-based documentation for all assessments and procedures
- Other duties as assigned such as new models of care and new types of procedures, etc.
- Manage inventory of supplies; restock exam/procedure rooms
- Maintain clinical supplies and equipment and ensure proper storage of biohazards
- Prepare patient rooms, set up instruments and equipment according to protocol
- Clean exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma or GED
- CPR certified or willing to become certified upon hire
- Completion of medical assistant training program and/or 1+ years medical assistant experience
- Experience with employer health services (including urine drug screens, breath alcohol, DOT physicals, etc.)
Direct experience with the following tasks:
- Clinical intake, patient data collection
- Laboratory specimen collection (blood-draw/venipuncture, urine collection, point of care testing, etc.)
- Performing EKG testing
- Application of orthopedic devices, such as preformed splints
- Performing basic wound care
- Review of basic instructions such as use of patient assistive devices (crutch fitting & walking)
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations including OSHA and HIPAA requirements
- Knowledge of computerized information systems (EMR) used in clinical management settings
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare and its affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.