Medical Assistant Peoples Health O'Neal - 2194910
At UnitedHealthcare, we’re simplifying the health care experience, creating healthier communities and removing barriers to quality care. The work you do here impacts the lives of millions of people for the better. Come build the health care system of tomorrow, making it more responsive, affordable and equitable. Ready to make a difference? Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
As an active participant of the primary care patient centered medical home team, the Medical Assistant engages in a collaborative process with members of a multidisciplinary team which may include a Physician, Nurse Practitioner, RN Care Manager, Social Worker, MA Lead, and Clinic Manager. The team assesses, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates options and services to meet a patient’s health needs through communication and utilization of available resources to promote quality, cost effective outcomes.
The Medical Assistant provides quality nursing care to patients and assists the Physician and Nurse Practitioners in the clinical setting.
The Medical Assistant collaborates with the primary care provider and other members of the care team and supports the patient by providing routine care, patient education, and self-management support. This position functions in a direct patient care role and is compliant with Regulatory and Quality Improvement activities (HIPAA, OSHA, Disease Management, etc.)
- Addresses the total patient, inclusive of medical, psychosocial, behavioral, cultural, and spiritual needs
- Involves the individual patient and caregiver, as appropriate, in decision making
- Facilitates communication and coordination among members of the care team
- Provides patient care to include: patient assessment prior to physician’s/nurse practitioner’s examination, serves as patient advocate/liaison by answering questions related to care and treatment, as appropriate, provides patient education and self-management support, implements physician orders (injections, prescription refills, diagnostic tests, referrals, etc.) and assists providers with procedures
- Escorts patient to exam room
- Participates in team “huddles” and ensures electronic medical record (EMR) is prepared for the clinic visit
- Triages phone calls to the appropriate department and enters the call into the EMR as a Telephone Encounter. After the call has been addressed, communicates with the patient and documents in the Telephone Encounter
- Maintains cleanliness of the patient care areas (exam rooms)
- Ensures exam rooms are stocked at all times
- Cleans and disinfects instruments according to policy
- Performs clinic tasks as directed by Clinic Manager
- Assists Clinic Manager with the ordering and receiving of medical supplies and medications
- Works closely with the Clinic Manager and Quality Manager to create and implement new clinic processes
- Reviews all required education courses (live and online) and applies to daily clinic practice
- Maintains competency of clinical skills
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
One year of post-high school education can be substituted/is equivalent to one year of experience.
- MA credentialing (completed Medical Assistant Program)
- Current CPR/AED certification
- 1+ years of clinic experience
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Knowledge of OSHA/HIPAA compliance
- Current Medical Assistance certification
- EMR training
- Excellent communication skills
- Time management
- Ability to multi-task/prioritize
- Computer/EMR Skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Critical thinking/sound judgment
- Willingness to take directives
- Solid work ethic
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Extensive walking
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to bend and sit
- Flexible hours
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.