Medical Collector - El Segundo, CA - 2197305
For those who want to invent the future of health care, here’s your opportunity. We’re going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Position in this function is responsible for performing moderately complex collection and clerical functions by interfacing with various departments, insurance carriers, patients and providers while ensuring good patient and provider relations. Monitors and collects outstanding balances on fee-for-service accounts.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum’s commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer
- Documents calls as clearly and precisely at the time of call
- Maintains department productivity standards: 42 accounts daily
- Performs collection activities on assigned work files according to department procedures
- Maintains proper aging of accounts receivable
- Performs precise audits of patient accounts to ensure accuracy of charges, payments and adjustments
- Monitors payments to ensure payers conform to agreed fee schedules. Contacts patients and insurance carriers regarding delinquent accounts
- Demonstrates special ability in dealing with patients regarding sensitive financial matters and recapturing unpaid balances
- Negotiates payment plans
- Identifies delinquent accounts for assignment to outside collection agencies
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
- Performs additional duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 1+ years of medical collection experience
- Experience with CPT/ICD-10 coding
- Knowledge of HCFA requirements
- Working knowledge of contracted insurance plans
- Working knowledge of current state and federal laws governing collections
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office to include Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Based in Southern California
- Ability to work in a hybrid role (remote and 1-2x per week in our El Segundo office)
- 3+ years of experience in a medical business office
- Knowledge of California industrial fee schedule billing requirements
- Bilingual (Spanish)
California Residents Only: The hourly range for California residents is $16.00 to $27.31 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.