Director of Specialist Strategy - Remote - 2193614
For those who want to invent the future of health care, here’s your opportunity. We’re going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Optum Health is creating the leading high-value ambulatory care delivery network in the country that is physician-led, patient-centered and clinically focused. When you join our team, you’ll be surrounded by a focused, performance driven team who is dedicated to building the highest value healthcare delivery system. Efficient specialty networks play an increasing role in our growth strategy across all markets as they will enable us to bring greater value to patients and providers through a high value healthcare delivery system. In this role, you’ll help drive the development and evaluation of specialty networks that create a higher quality and lower cost healthcare delivery system.
This role will assess and partner with OptumCare Care Delivery Organizations (CDOs) to develop high value specialty networks for their members/patients. This will be achieved through the assessment of a CDO’s existing specialty network needs and evaluating market opportunities to optimize that network’s performance. The specialty network strategy will be designed inclusive of market discovery interviews, aligning on approach/key considerations, opportunity/gap analysis, and final recommendations.
This position will primarily be focused on developing analytic insights, supporting data models, and delivering specialty network recommendations. Key analytic assessment focus areas include but are not limited to:
- Specialty Network Adequacy and Accessibility Assessments
- Specialty Supply / Demand Opportunity Assessments
- Provider Cost Efficiency and Quality Evaluations
- Care Delivery Organization Specialty Referral Optimizations
- Employ vs. Partner Opportunity Assessments
- Employed Specialist Financial Review Assessments
- Specialty Group Acquisition Synergy Assessments
This position will engage closely with Optum Health local medical group leadership as well as with a variety of enterprise teams including Healthcare Economics and Surgical Care Affiliates (SCA). Collaboration across broader Optum Health, Optum and UnitedHealthcare will exist.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Strategy and Growth:
- Develop understanding of business-level goals / metrics focused on maximizing service line performance
- Develop data solutions that can directly support the business case and ongoing performance tracking for local and national execution
- Ensure that data solutions supporting service line strategies address applicable market expectations (e.g., patients, payers, providers, external business partners)
- Collaborate with market partners – build long-lasting transparent and trusting relationships
- Create solid partnerships across all levels of the organization to obtain needed information and support across teams
- Present complex information/insights in a simple and consumable format
- Collaborate with applicable stakeholders to obtain appropriate market information/data (e.g., healthcare economics, specialty practices, health plan partners, etc.)
- Gather/analyze/validate applicable data from internal and external sources to identify market characteristics/needs/problems (e.g., market opportunities, financials, trends)
- Articulate clear and concise information on a market specific data solution supporting the business opportunity
- Partner with stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure accuracy of information/assumptions in data models
- Monitor pilots and tests including performance tracking to support overall project implementation
- Analyze internal data, alongside external data sets (including detailed internal and external payer data sets) to identify preferred providers based on patterns of clinical care, site of service, and cost savings opportunities
- Use above analyses to create business pro formas to support investment opportunities – including calculating metrics for revenue, EBITDA, ROIC, and IOI
- Review and assess completed analysis; seeking clarity, questioning where appropriate, and working collaboratively to drive accurate results
- Work directly with and across OptumCare business units to help determine needs and solve complex and strategic business challenges
- Ensure consistency and coordination in how initiatives are implemented
- Make recommendations to management/leadership based on business case and analysis
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
One year of post-high school education can be substituted/is equivalent to one year of experience.
- 7+ years of experience in strategy, consulting and/or finance
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare industry
- Experience and understanding of key healthcare financial metrics
- Experience presenting information to senior leadership
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
- Proficiency in SQL Management Studio
- Experience working with data related to specialists and/or ancillary services
- Experience in general business or healthcare consulting
- Experience with Tableau Reporting
- Experience analyzing and manipulating large data sets
- Proven interpersonal skills, including positive assertiveness, professional communication, relationship building and ability to influence without authority
- Proven solid problem solving capabilities
- Proven excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven success adding structure and clarity to ambiguous situations / asks
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington residents is $118,000 to $226,800 per year. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.