Preservice Review Nurse Buffalo New York Hybrid - 2192900
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Positions in this role are responsible for clinical reviews and require a current, unrestricted RN nursing license in the applicable state. Individual is responsible for performing clinical coverage review of services which require notification or requested pre-determination, using applicable benefit plan documents, evidence-based medical policy and nationally recognized clinical guidelines and criteria.
If you are able to work in Buffalo, New York office, you will have the flexibility to work remotely* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Perform clinical reviews, which require decision making related to interpretation of state and federal mandates, applicable benefit language, and consideration of relevant clinical information
- Proficient in using clinical criteria and medical policy guidelines
- Serve as a member of a team with specific individual and team performance metrics
- Communicate in writing and verbally, all forms of benefit determinations including decisions regarding coverage guidelines, contractual limitations, and reimbursement determinations
- Manage caseload of Prior Auth Escalations within Lines of Business to ensure care delivery for our members
- Solid working knowledge of the health insurance industry, products and service and the managed care environment
- Work independently and collaboratively with Medical Directors and other business partners
- Flexibility to adapt to changing environment and varied case volume
- Other duties as assigned by leadership
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business or related field or equivalent relevant work experience
- A current unrestricted RN license in the State of New York
- Must be able to obtain additional nursing licenses
- 3+ years RN patient care experience
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office Products including Microsoft Outlook (ability to create, edit, save, and send emails), Microsoft Word (ability to create, edit, save, and send documents), and Microsoft Excel (ability to create, edit, save, and send spreadsheets)
- Core understanding of ICD-10 and CPT/HCPCS codes
- Demonstrate exemplary clinical documentation skills
- Proven excellent people skills (i.e.: good communication skills, positive leadership shadow, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clinical determinations objectively and clearly both verbally and in writing
- Proven self-starter with the ability to handle a fast-paced production environment and multiple review types
- Proven solid written, verbal, analytic, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Proven flexibility to work outside standard hours of operations due to changing business needs
- Demonstrated ability to trouble shoot and setup computer equipment independently
- Dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Demonstrated ability to work an eight (8) hour shift Monday-Friday until 7:00 PM CST.
- Have access to high speed internet (DSL or Cable)
- Must be able to work in Buffalo area office as needed
- Compact License
- Background involving utilization review or experience in case management, or previous experience with clinical claim review
- Familiarity with utilizing clinical guidelines such as InterQual
- Proven solid clinical judgement while applying medical necessity based on approved clinical resources
New York Residents Only: The hourly range for New York residents is $27.07 to $53.08 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment