Senior Phlebotomist - The Everett Clinic - La Connor - 2196592
For those who want to invent the future of health care, here’s your opportunity. We’re going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Compassion. It’s the starting point for health care providers like you and it’s what drives us every day as we put our exceptional skills together with a real feeling of caring for others. This is a place where your impact goes beyond providing care one patient at a time. Because here, every day, you’re also providing leadership and contributing in ways that can affect millions for years to come.
Optum’s Pacific West region is redefining health care with a focus on health equity, affordability, quality, and convenience. From California, to Oregon and Washington, we are focused on helping more than 2.5 million patients live healthier lives and helping the health system work better for everyone. At Optum Pacific West, we care. We care for our team members, our patients, and our communities. Join our culture of caring and make a positive and lasting impact on health care for millions.
Position in this function is under general supervision, the Sr. Phlebotomist will be responsible for performing a wide range of laboratory duties, including specimen collection, waived and moderate testing (including microscopy), and EKGs. The Sr. Phlebotomist will have a solid background in phlebotomy, laboratory procedures, and patient care. This position requires excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and organizational skills. The Senior Phlebotomist will work independently and as part of a team to ensure the delivery of high-quality patient care.
Venipuncture and specimen collection:
- Collect blood specimens from patients using venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques promptly
- Maintain a clean, safe, and efficient work environment
- Process and prepare specimens for testing and transport
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to specimen collection, testing, and equipment
- Give proper patient collection instructions (i.e. urine collection, stool collection, etc.)
- Instruct patients in post-phlebotomy care
- Properly dispose of bio-hazardous and sharps materials
- Obtain specimens for microbiology testing
- Perform electrocardiograms (EKGs) and other miscellaneous services
- Order sufficient supplies to perform the workload and rotate stock and prevent the use of outdated supplies
- Always follow the venipuncture standard of work (SOW)
- Always follow the processing standard of work (SOW) including positive identification of all patient specimens
Perform waived and moderate complexity laboratory testing:
- Performs both waived and moderate complexity laboratory testing, including microscopy
- Maintain accurate records of patient information, test results, and laboratory procedures
- Perform quality control and calibration procedures to ensure the accuracy and reliability of test results
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control activities including proficiency testing
- Always follow the resulting standard of work (SOW)
- Always follow the processing standard of work (SOW)
- Participate in competency assessment
- Follow The Everett Clinic (TEC) lab procedures and guidelines
- Follow the Calling Critical Value policy
- Interact with patients and healthcare providers in a professional and compassionate manner
- While registering patients, always follow the reception standard of work (SOW)
- Problem solves efficiently and promptly
- Locate missing lab orders and specimens
- Competent and efficient phone skills
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Completion of a Phlebotomy Certificate program through an accredited school
- Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist (MA-Pbt) certification from the state to perform capillary and venous invasive procedures for blood withdrawal under the supervision of a health care practitioner
- BLS certification is required or obtained within the first 30 days of employment
- Documented training program to include all elements of CLIA regulation 42CFR493.1423
- Able to use muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry heavy objects. Occasionally, lifting up to 50 pounds and carrying up to 24 pounds may be required
- 2+ years of blood draw experience
Washington Residents Only: The hourly range for Washington residents is $16.00 to $31.44 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.