Advisory Manager (Strategy & Growth) - Remote - 2196157
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Manager (Strategy & Growth) Advisory Services is the overall project lead across moderate-complexity engagement types and is responsible for determining overall approach and structure of analysis for engagement and key deliverables. The Manager will need substantial industry knowledge and will serve as the driving force behind team problem solving to help the clients identify strategic priorities, improve financial and market performance, rationalize services, and meet the many challenges they face. The Manager will assign workstreams to team members and self that reflect skills and development needs while meeting the needs and timelines of the client. This role will have a focus on project economics and will direct team to follow the practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability. The Manager will contribute to team member professional development through mentoring and/or formal advisory relationships. The Manager will also contribute to other practice-related development efforts including business development, thought leadership, and other practice needs.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Overall project lead across ambiguous and complex engagements
- Plan the work and work the plan – assign workstreams to team members and self that reflect skills and development needs while meeting needs and timelines of client
- Serve as principal point of day-to-day contact for client project lead; establish optimal communication cadence with client and demonstrate executive presence to lead presentations and/or components of larger presentations
- Ability to accurately diagnose the issues the client has identified (as well as underlying issues) and determine the appropriate strategic solutions
- Is comfortable with ambiguity – able to apply structured frameworks to define and solve client business questions while applying appropriate assumptions
- Demonstrate ability to conduct market and competitor assessments, develop business cases for growth strategies and develop strategic roadmaps
- Determining overall analytical approach and structure for engagement / workstream including key deliverables – both for self and for junior team members
- Show proficiency in developing strategic and actionable insights by analyzing quantitative and qualitative data
- Communicate effectively and accurately in writing and verbally to prospects, clients, and other staff
- Able to craft storylines that engage executives and senior leaders on strategic and transformation priorities
- Build consensus among client stakeholders who play a critical role in the client’s ability to successfully implement the identified solutions
- Spend time coaching team members to develop approaches for their own sections when appropriate, reviewing and validating their work for accuracy and effectiveness
- Focus on project economics and direct team to follow practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability. Closely monitor actual vs. expected team utilization
- Effectively and appropriately apply both deductive and inductive thinking, hypothesis-based approaches and other standard strategic frameworks
- Provide support to other Optum Advisory business units when strategy expertise is required in dealing with client issues
- Demonstrate solid relationship management skills and ability to handle challenging interpersonal situations
- Contribute to practice-level initiatives including business development and thought leadership beyond client project work
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
Years of post-high school education can be substituted/is equivalent to years of experience
- 5+ years consulting experience
- 3+ years of client/customer facing experience at a consulting firm (Big 3 / Big 4 / Big 6 / Boutique) environment
- 3+ years of experience utilizing formal industry strategy consulting frameworks and problem-solving approaches
- 3+ years of healthcare, payer and/or provider, life sciences experience
- 3+ years of consumer, marketing, and sales experience, conducting effectiveness assessment, and developing design and measurement recommendations
- 2+ years of leading complex engagements and teams
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Willing or ability to travel domestically, up to 50% when required
- Background in healthcare consulting – prefer payer and/or provider experience
- Experience with building innovations in established or startup organizations is a plus
- Experience managing projects that achieved budget and timeline goals
- Experience mentoring junior level staff
- Proven ability to drill down to the root cause of issues and be creative in problem solving
- Proven ability to possess analytical reasoning and solution-focus problem solving, hypothesis-based problem solving
- Proven ability to lead and motivate cross-functional teams
- Proven skilled in Human centered design thinking and approaches
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment