Inpatient Care Management Medical Director - Remote - 2187918
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
We are currently seeking an Inpatient Care Management Medical Director to join our Optum team. This team is responsible for conducting acute level of care and length of stay reviews for medical necessity for our members being managed within the continuum of care. Our clients include local and national commercial employer, Medicare, and state Medicaid plans. The Medical Directors work with groups of nurses and support staff to manage inpatient care utilization at a hospital, market, regional or national level.
Although the United Health Services ICM Medical Director’s work is typically concentrated in a region, they are part of a national organization and team, and collaborate with peers, nurse managers, and non-clinical employees from across the country. In response to customer needs and expectations, Optum is continuously modifying its programs and approaches. Although not a primary job function, Medical Directors with the interest in doing so often can be involved with change design and management.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Participate in telephonic outreach for collaboration with treating providers. This will include discussion of evidence – based guidelines, opportunities to close clinical quality / service gaps, and care plan changes that can impact health care expenses
- Responsible to collaborate with operational and business partners on clinical and quality initiatives at the site and customer level to address customer expectations
- Is grounded in the use and application of evidence-based medicine (EBM) such as InterQual care guidelines
- Occasionally, may participate in periodic market oversight meetings with the outward facing Chief Medical Officers, network contractors, nurse management and other internal managers
- Maintain proficiency in all required software and platforms
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- MD or DO with an active, unrestricted medical license
- Current Board Certification and maintenance in an ABMS or AOBMS specialty
- 5+ years clinical practice experience
- Private home office and access to high-speed Internet
- Technical proficiency in computer software and systems
- Board certification in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
- 2+ years of managed care, Quality Management experience and/or administrative leadership experience
- Prior UM experience
- Clinical experience within the past 2 years
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California/Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada/New Jersey/New York/Rhode Island/Washington residents is $248,582 to $338,965. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.