Patient Financial Advocate I - Muhlenberg Health Plex - Powderly, KY - 2189383
$ 1,500 Sign-On Bonus for External Candidates
Opportunities at Owensboro Health, in strategic partnership with Optum. Our team of talented people works to improve the health outcomes of the communities we serve. As an Optum employee, you will provide support to the Owensboro health account. They are a nonprofit system with over 200 providers at more than 20 locations, 3 outpatient facilities, a certified medical fitness facility, a surgical weight loss center and the Mitchell Memorial Cancer Center. We are continually searching for people like you to help us provide the most innovative health care services. Join a team that will make you feel valued and discover the meaning behind: Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Provides financial advocacy counseling to patients/families to help assure that individuals who are eligible for insurance coverage, premium assistance, and/or financial assistance know about their coverage and payment options and have the opportunity to obtain in-person assistance with the enrollment and financial assistance process. Delivers education in regard to explaining affordability programs, qualified health plans, essential health benefits, and rights when using insurance, as well as Owensboro Health financial assistance programs and financial policies.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to work our normal business hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm CST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at Muhlenberg Health Plex – 2025 W Everly Brothers Blvd, Powderly, KY 42367.
We offer 4 weeks of training. The hours during training will be discussed.
- Educates patients/guarantors on Owensboro Health financial policies and financial assistance processes and assists them with obtaining coverage, applying for financial assistance, and/or making payments or payment arrangements.
- Assists patients/guarantors with opening or accessing an account with KYNect and obtaining help with premium and costsharing discounts through the Marketplace.
- Understands the web-based decision tools and guides patients through the process of narrowing choices for qualified health plans.
- Reviews daily census or clinic schedule and identifies any uninsured accounts that require screening or accounts with outstanding balances requiring intervention to discuss payment options.
- Makes all efforts to contact uninsured patients in work queues and screens them for appropriate coverage or financial assistance and/or sets up payment arrangements.
- Reviews uncollectible accounts such as deceased patient, bankruptcy, and return mail to send to agencies or attorney for next level of collection process.
- Retrieves all necessary documentation of bad debt/charity adjustments as needed for Medicare Cost Report.
- Must maintain eligibility as a Certified Application Counselor (CAC) and comply with any licensing, certification, or other standards prescribed by the state, if applicable.
The pace is fast, so your ability to multi-task is essential. You should also enjoy working with people and have the communication skills necessary to build strong relationships with our customers.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 1+ years of related work experience, including data entry and medical billing
- Ability to explain patient liability amounts (deductible, co-pay, co-insurance)
- Understanding of the difference between professional and facility level charges
- Ability to work our normal business hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm CST, Monday – Friday
- Ability to read an Explanation of Benefits and explain out-of-pocket costs
- Prior EPIC (EMR) experience
- Working knowledge of KY Medicaid
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.