Software Engineer - Places Reporter
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
About the Position
Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team! While we would prefer candidates based in or around our office hubs in New York City, Chicago, Seattle, or San Francisco, we're also open to considering remote applicants for this role
About the team:
The Places Team is responsible for building Foursquare's Places Engine. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, and colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics and everything in between for tens of thousands developers. It plays a crucial role in collecting and processing raw POI data from diverse sources. Its automation of third-party data ingestion streamlines maintenance efforts, ensuring a constant stream of fresh data for the Places Engine. This is vital for businesses relying on Foursquare's data for critical decision-making.
About the role:
The role of a Software Engineer on the Places Reporter team at Foursquare involves working on the data ingestion pipeline infrastructure that the entire Places product is built upon. They will be responsible for implementing new features and enhancements to Foursquare's core Places systems and data pipelines.
They will work with the Product Management and Design teams to determine requirements and implementation specifications. Collaboration with the Product Management and the broader Places engineering teams is crucial to enable a top-notch customer experience that allows Foursquare to meet its data freshness and data quality goals.
The successful candidate takes responsibility for the development, deployment, and support of Foursquare's production systems. They also participate in technical reviews to ensure designs efficiently meet product requirements and user needs. The role requires Java or other object-oriented programming experience and a proactive approach to work.
In this role, you’ll
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the systems which facilitate getting data into our places dataset and the processes by which we handle inputs and turn them into actionable data made available to the rest of the team
- Maintain and innovate on the ingestion components and pipelines
- Collaborate with other teams, to ensure the smooth operation and integration of systems
- Understand how policies and processes interact with technical objectives and actively participate in shaping process and policy
- Contribute to broad architectural guidance to meet strategic organizational and business needs that are successfully adopted. Ships large systems, complex libraries or major pieces of infrastructure
What you’ll need
- At least 3-4 years of software development experience on backend systems or big data processing pipelines
- Proficiency in Java or other object-oriented programming, with a preference for experience or interest in functional languages
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new technology and troubleshoot
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Commitment to upholding high ethical standards in engineering and product decisions
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible PTO - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Equipment Setup - you will receive all necessary hardware for your job function
- Professional Development - annual learning stipend for your career development goals
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
- Hybrid Work Schedule for in-person collaboration on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning April 1, 2024. For roles considered remote, this will not apply.
At Foursquare, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry and market standards. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, and specific office location.
The annual total cash compensation range is $104,000 - 175,750, however actual salaries can vary based on a candidate’s qualifications, skills and competencies, as well as location.
Salary is just one component of Foursquare’s total compensation package, which includes restricted stock units, multiple health insurance options, and a wide range of benefits!
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.