Business Intelligence Analyst - Finance
IT, Accounting & Finance, Operations, Data Science
Chicago, IL, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Empowerly (www.empowerly.com) is an education technology company with a mission to empower students to become the most successful version of themselves. We personalize college and career counseling, offering data-driven education technology, startup and research internship programs, and personalized counseling led by former college Admission Officers and experienced college counselors. We are a rapidly growing, mission-driven, and venture-backed company that values collaboration, data-driven decision-making, and empowerment.
Empowerly has raised $12 million from investors, including Goodwater Capital, FJ Labs, Scrum Ventures, Translink Capital, Azure Capital Partners, and Spero Ventures. Our leadership team brings experience from Teach for America, Goldman Sachs, Facebook, Google, Lucky Strike, Microsoft, and various Seed, A, B, C, Private, and Publicly Traded companies. In 2022, Empowerly's co-founders were named in Forbes 30 Under 30, and the company was recognized as one of Inc. 5000's fastest-growing companies in America.
About the Role
We are seeking a Business Intelligence Analyst - Finance. The fully remote position will work with a company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Reporting directly to the CFO, this incumbent will play a crucial role in converting raw data into meaningful insights for strategic decision-making in an organization.
They are responsible for querying, analyzing, and interpreting large datasets, often using SQL and other database tools. Proficiency in business intelligence tools like Tableau, PowerBI, or Looker is key, as these are used to create visualizations and reports that communicate trends and patterns. The role requires a strong understanding of data lineage, ensuring clarity on how data is sourced, aggregated, and utilized. Business Intelligence Analysts often engage in ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to prepare data for analysis.
Their work demands strong quantitative skills and advanced proficiency in data manipulation and analysis. Familiarity with data transformation tools and project management experience is also beneficial. Typically coming from backgrounds like business analysis or financial analysis, these professionals bridge the gap between data and decision-making, providing critical insights that drive business strategy and operations.
- Data Querying and Optimization: Utilize advanced SQL and Access skills for efficient data extraction and query optimization. Demonstrated experience in writing and fine-tuning complex queries is essential.
- Business Intelligence Tools Expertise: Proficient in using at least one major business intelligence tool (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, Looker). Must provide a portfolio showcasing proficiency in data analysis and visualization.
- Data Lineage Proficiency: Understand and track the sources of data, methodologies for metric aggregation, and interpret how the resultant business intelligence is utilized and decoded by stakeholders.
- ETL Processes: Competently execute Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) operations to integrate data into BI applications, ensuring data accuracy and relevance.
- Quantitative Analysis: Possess strong quantitative skills to analyze and interpret data effectively, contributing to informed decision-making processes.
- SQL Proficiency: Demonstrable expertise in SQL, including understanding and application of window functions.
- BI Dashboarding Prowess: Advanced proficiency in creating and managing dashboards using tools like Tableau, Looker, or Power BI. Data Transformation Tools: Familiarity with data transformation tools such as dbt, SSIS, or Alteryx, enabling effective data manipulation and integration.
- Project Management Skills: Experience in managing projects, demonstrating the ability to lead and coordinate across diverse teams and timelines.
- Analytical Background: Exposure to roles such as Business Analyst or Financial Analyst, highlighting a strong foundation in analytical thinking and business acumen.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree
- Collaboration experience with various online platforms.
- Familiarity with consumer-facing business metrics and best practices for measurement (e.g., Retention, CAC, LTV, etc.).
- Proficiency in Tableau and SQL.
- Experience conducting statistical analysis to drive business impact using Python.
- Strong communication skills, specifically when driving projects in a leadership role.
- Knowledge with Stripe, Hubspot, Retool, etc.
- Proficient in Excel and Google Sheets
- Comfortable working in a startup setting.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to derive insights from raw data.
- Familiarity with CRM tools and data visualization best practices.
- Previous experience in the startup industry.
- Knowledge of the higher education sector, particularly top-tier universities.
- Belief in our mission and dedication to our goals.
- Excellent communicator in written, oral, and in-person interactions.
- Analytical thinker who makes data-driven decisions.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Adept at learning web-based tools.
- Resourceful problem solver.
- Thrives in a nimble, lean, unstructured, fast-paced startup.
- Collaborative and energetic team player.
- Committed to delighting customers.
- Upholds impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- Ability to present a unified front once a decision is made.
- Quick response to customers and adaptability to change.
- Committed to personal growth and development.
- Mission-driven at heart.
Working at Empowerly
At Empowerly, we value versatility, supportiveness, impatience, and above all, an obsessive focus on deepening relationships with families. As you join us in the first chapter of our story, you'll play a leading role in determining how it unfolds.
We understand that finding a company with values that align with your own is crucial to feeling fulfilled at work. However, it can be challenging to assess a company's culture from the outside, and many organizations struggle to describe their own nature accurately. It's like asking a fish to describe water - they are so immersed in it that it's hard to see it objectively. Additionally, many companies have incentives to sound attractive rather than truthful.
That's why we've made a conscious effort to articulate our culture's characteristics honestly. We hope that this description will help you decide whether Empowerly is the kind of place where you'd like to spend your time:
- An environment of growth
- Intentional communication
- Fast-paced, detail-oriented
- Growth by way of doing
- Voraciously curious
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision, 401-K
- Working to scale our Benefits
- Flexible PTO