UX Researcher, Intern
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we also offer English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and are bringing new subjects into the Duolingo app, where people can develop their Math and Music skills.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As a User Experience Research (UXR) Intern, you’ll be embedded into one of our product areas where you’ll contribute to innovative projects that affect our millions of learners, while developing your career through hands-on learning and mentorship. We’ll provide you with support and guidance to advance your personal, professional, and technical skills as you make a real impact on one of the Duolingo products.
What you’ll do...
- Work collaboratively with product managers, product designers, data scientists, and engineers, with the guidance and support of senior researchers
- Conduct foundational and evaluative research to glean insights that are concrete and valuable to influencing product strategy
- Work with product managers and designers to run usability studies of new designs and features
- Craft compelling narratives about our users’ needs, attitudes, aspirations, expectations, obstacles, and motivations
What we’re looking for…
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Anthropology, Social or Behavioral Sciences, or a related field with an expected graduation date of Spring 2025 (or Fall 2024)
- Familiarity with qualitative research methods and demonstrable experience conducting research projects
- A knack for getting to the heart of the matter, tellings stories and being convincing—making the opaque feel obvious in hindsight
- Experience in a startup environment
- Expertise in linguistics or language learning
- Expertise in qualitative research methods and frameworks, such as in-depth interviews, diary studies, journey mapping, card sorting, or usability studies
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods, including surveys and statistical analysis
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches and breakfast
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.