Learning Designer for Languages, Intern (Masters)
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we also offer English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and are bringing new subjects into the Duolingo app, where people can develop their Math and Music skills.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for an outstanding M.A. candidate with a background in linguistics, languages, and language teaching. Our ideal candidate is a polyglot energized by diving into languages they don’t (yet) know, with a passion for developing language-learning materials and a combination of analytical and creative skills. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide. This is a 12-week paid internship for summer 2024 (exact dates flexible).
More information on our University Programs can be found at university.duolingo.com
- Work side by side with learning designers, project managers, and engineers to deliver high-quality course curricula and content for a variety of languages
- Leverage generative AI for creating content that is fun, accessible, and targets learners at specific proficiency levels
- Use your linguistic "generalist" skills to effectively work across different languages, consulting subject matter experts as needed
- Review, edit, and proofread learning materials for our language courses
- Progress toward an M.A. You are currently pursuing a Master's degree in applied linguistics, linguistics, learning experience design, instructional design, or a related field. Your planned graduation date must be between December 2024 and May 2025.
- Language knowledge and teaching experience. You have taught at least one language other than English, and have a minimum of basic proficiency in another language. You can quickly get up to speed on the key properties of unfamiliar languages.
- Analytical thinking. You can think about language in a structured and analytical way. For example, you excel at breaking down grammatical concepts into smaller parts for the purposes of teaching.
- Creativity. You think outside the box and have excellent intuitions about how to build content that is engaging to a wide range of learners.
- Excellent collaboration skills. You have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. You give and receive feedback well, and you build and maintain strong professional relationships with colleagues.
- Operational focus. You are organized and efficient, and strive to continuously improve your workflow and processes.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Experience developing pedagogical content or curriculum
- Knowledge of typologically diverse languages (ideally including Asian languages), and/or background in language typology
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language-learning opportunities
- In-house breakfast and lunch options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- Generous paid time off and company holidays
- Frequent team dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
- Dedicated mentorship and colleagues who are both competent and caring
- Find out more by visiting our blog
- EEOC + Reasonable accommodation info automatically included in all Greenhouse job postings
We invest in and support our Duos! The hourly range for this internship is $33-$35.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.