Senior Android Software Engineer
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC, English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and even Math.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Duolingo’s Design Systems team is a new team developing our thoughtful and beautiful design language into a usable, repeatable system for product designers and engineers.
We’re looking for engineers who are:
- Excited about the opportunity and leadership involved with growing a new team and practice within a scaling organization.
- Comfortable with working with engineers across the company as we audit and build the system.
- Have an eye and passion for design details, as well as well-designed components and systems.
- Build performant, flexible, high-quality components that engineers can start using to build better products faster
- Audit and understand the current implementation of our systems, and make plans to iteratively improve it
- Mentor and teach engineers across the company about how to harness the system so that all product and engineering teams run more smoothly thanks to you, even when you are not involved day to day.
- Proven ability to communicate technical issues effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders at different levels of the organization
- Proven ability to create and execute detailed plans accounting for ambiguity, dependencies, and technical complexity
- Outstanding leadership and negotiation skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Demonstrated self-direction, with a desire both to learn new techniques and teach others
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- B.S. or M.S. in a Computer Science or equivalent degree
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA or New York, NY
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Experience building reusable components in Android
- Familiarity or contributions to a public component library such as Material Design
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $148,800 - $274,600. Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?