Senior Software Engineer - API Platform
The API Platform team is the heart and soul of Discord's HTTP API layer. We juggle a whopping 400,000 requests per second, and tens of thousands of asynchronous jobs. Developing and operating the core components of the API, our work allows internal developers to deliver new features to production, and allows Discord users to send billions of messages each day.
As an API Platform Engineer, you'll report to the Engineering Manager of API Platform within the Core Technology department at Discord. Your role would see you refine our codebase and perfect our infrastructure, work that influences almost every interaction that our users have while using Discord!
What you'll be doing
- Ensuring our systems are fast, reliable and efficient while meeting the needs of product teams.
- Writing code but also managing our infrastructure.
- Ensuring the reliable operation of critical systems that serve millions of users daily.
- Enabling dozens of teams to quickly and safely deploy code to production.
- Working with an amazing group of engineers passionate about keeping Discord running smoothly.
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience developing backend systems.
- Experience scaling distributed systems
- Experience operating complex services in a production environment
- Familiarity with open source software, and ability dig into a library's source code to find the answer you’re looking for.
- Confidence making tradeoffs when leading projects to ensure constant progress.
- Experience with large Python or Rust codebases.
- Experience deploying and managing containerized applications with Kubernetes
- Experience with Google Pub/Sub or other message queue systems
- An understanding of Python runtime internals or the gevent library
- Familiarity with Redis, ScyllaDB, or Postgres
- You have built or contributed to open source projects.
- You are a Discord power user and have built bots or apps interacting with our platform.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000-$204,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related experience, and training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!