Senior Motion Designer
The Discord Product Creative Team is looking for a Motion Designer generalist to join our team. We need someone with serious talent and a passion for what they do. As a Sr. Motion Designer, you'll be the magician who brings ideas to life, taking them to a whole new level with animation. Your main focus will be to create mind-blowing in-app content that adds value to our customers' Discord experience.
We are looking for someone who excels at pushing the boundaries of creativity and can excel across a diverse range of projects. Your role will involve the production of visually stunning and captivating character animations, the creation of delightful UI moments, and fulfilling multiple other motion graphics requirements. You are a creative person with multiple motion design capabilities, proficient in both 2D animation, and excels at collaborating with artists and other team members. You will report to the Manager, of the Product Creative Team.
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for all creative content within the Discord, working alongside Illustrators, 3D motion designers, and 2D animators.
Collaborate with the Product Design Team to produce diverse in-product creative assets, including animating illustrations, character designs, stickers, scenery backgrounds, art, icons, and product ui.
Collaborate with artists, designers, and other team members to ensure cohesive and visually appealing motion design outcomes
Conceptualize, storyboard, design, and animatics to communicate design concepts and motion sequences
Use industry-standard software and tools to create high-quality animations, including Adobe After Effects, Lottie, Cinema 4d, Redshift or other animation software
Maintain understanding of current design trends and techniques, and implement them into motion design projects
Ensure all motion designs meet project requirements, brand guidelines, and technical specifications
Work harmoniously with artists, designers, and team members to integrate motion designs within the broader creative vision
Collaborate with Illustrators to bring ideas to life
What you should have
Demonstrated expertise in motion design with a portfolio showcasing multiple motion graphics and animations
6+ years of design/production experience with an ad agency or in-house design team; in tech or gaming industry
- Proficient in 2D animation techniques, with a understanding of motion principles, composition, and timing
- Experience creating animation for mobile with an emphasis on Lottie
- Experience with design principles, color theory, and typography
- Proficiency in industry-standard software and tools, such as Adobe After Effects, Lottie, Cel, and a plus knowing Cinema 4D, Maya, or similar 3D animation software
- Improve on designs to achieve the desired outcome with other designers
- Knowledge of video editing, compositing, and audio editing
- A Bachelor's Degree in Graphic design, Animation, or a related field
The US base salary range for this full-time position is ($117,000 - $135,000) + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
#buildbelonging #LI-Hybrid #LI-CS1
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!