Software Engineer Intern - Design Systems
The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June to accommodate varying school calendars.
The Design Systems team develops the core primitives and standards that engineers and designers use to build Discord's products. Designers and engineers on this team collaborate to accelerate product feature teams' ability to ship new features with UI that are accessible, coherent, and high quality. This team sets the standard for accessibility on Discord, and supports other engineering teams in achieving it.
What You'll Be Doing
- Help build the foundation of our design system and the tooling that makes it easy to use.
- Write code that works across our iOS, Android, desktop, and web platforms.
- Collaborate with Senior and Staff level engineers to grow your expertise and understand the needs and effect of your work.
- Build internal tools to empower all of our engineers and designers to use the design system to the fullest extent.
You'll Excel In This Role If...
- You're excited to work with and figure out new technology, you like to learn by doing
- You have experience building in React – it can be a relatively simple side project or a school assignment but you can create a simple React application
- You are passionate about interaction design and accessibility.
- You are interested in making building and modifying underlying systems to make small but sweeping UI changes in an application
Salary of $63/hour*
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!