Software Engineer, Backend (SQL Queries) - New York, NY, Toronto
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the planet's most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. Join us on our mission to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database and enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a backend software engineer excited about growing an open-source, cloud-native distributed SQL database to join our SQL Queries team. This team works within the SQL layer of CockroachDB, focussing on query optimization and SQL execution. Join the team to be a part of cutting edge work that provides foundational database functionality enabling a seamless experience for CockroachDB users.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachDB through bringing your expertise and commitment to excellence to help build a database that makes data easy for everyone.
- Develop in Go, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- Improve the performance of CockroachDB.
- Work closely with other engineers and product managers across our the cloud and database teams.
- Take part in a collaborative culture and exchange knowledge with a highly experienced technical organization.
- Ensure that CockroachDB remains scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
In the first month, you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, and the architecture of CockroachDB and our cloud offerings. We believe that it's essential for you to take this time to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture.
After three months, you'll be a fully-fledged member of the SQL Queries team and feel comfortable contributing to CockroachDB. You will begin determining the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with your interests and our goals.
We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product. You play a crucial role in making CockroachDB a joy to use, and as our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachDB and CockroachDB Cloud. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and advance your career into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for working on complex technical products and have exposure to topics such as query optimization, SQL processing, distributed systems, consensus, data replication, concurrency control, or file systems.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- An understanding of system design.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 8+ years of relevant experience ideal.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership, including:
Rebecca Taft - Senior Manager, Engineering
Becca is responsible for the SQL Queries team. She partners closely with the product manager and engineers to build and maintain an impactful roadmap. Becca has been at Cockroach Labs for over 6 years and helped build the CockroachDB query optimizer from the ground up. Prior to joining Cockroach Labs, she got her PhD in Computer Science at MIT with a focus on database elasticity and multi-tenancy. In her spare time, she likes to travel and enjoy the outdoors with her husband and son.
Isaac Wong - SVP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $190,000 to $260,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.