Financial Analyst (Go-to-Market) - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Cockroach Labs’ growth trajectory by being part of the FP&A function. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace. The Financial Analyst will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high growth startup and will have significant opportunities for growth.
You will join our high performing Finance team and be a strategic business partner to our rapidly scaling business. In this role, you will interact with business leaders and be the driving force for their financial planning. We are looking for a thoughtful, data-driven contributor as the business looks to achieve its next breakthroughs.
- Think on your feet, thrive in navigating ambiguity, and transform chaotic situations into organized action plans
- Seek knowledge, accuracy, structure, and optimization in everything you do, be coachable and look to overachieve with modesty
- Contribute to the preparation, analysis, and communication of the monthly budget vs. actual and forecast process
- Collaborate with the Head of Marketing on financial KPIs to track, communicate and report
- Enjoy collaborating with multiple teams and building positive relationships with business partners in the overall Go-to-Market organization (Sales, Marketing & Customer Success)
- Work with Accounting to understand any fluctuations between budget vs actuals
- Sharing ownership of the FP&A responsibilities including the month/quarter-end processes (forecast, annual planning, variance analyses, executive reporting, etc.)
- Assist with identifying opportunities for efficiencies and improvements within the FP&A process and workflow to align with company’s growth
- Be the person of contact for budgeting-related questions or inquiries from the Marketing organization
- Maintain headcount tracking, and reporting while collaborating with HR, Recruiting, and Accounting to ensure accuracy and scalability as we look to grow exponentially in the next few years
- Ad-hoc scenario analyses, short- and medium-term project work, and other analyses as needed
- Assisting and completing ad hoc FP&A projects or analyses as needed
- 2+ years of professional experience in FP&A, strategy, consulting, or similar field with exposure to the technology industry is a plus
- Power-user proficiency in MS Office suite (especially MS Excel and MS PowerPoint) and Google Sheets is a huge plus
- Proven ability to structure sophisticated problems, develop solutions, and craft recommendations and results into easily digestible messages, communications, and executive presentations
- Highly collaborative style with strong influence skills and the ability to adjust on the fly to new demands with a sense of urgency
- Experience with different ERP/HR systems is a plus
- Strong communication, both verbal and written
- Executive presence and engagement skills
- Remarkable attention and curiosity to details
- A positive attitude and self-motivator with the ability to follow through with projects to completion
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting in a distributed, dynamic, fast-paced environment
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes, systems, and organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand the current financial systems ecosystem. You will develop relationships with other operational leaders at Cockroach Labs and understand their plans. You will review and provide feedback on the current Company architecture, processes, and current plans for this year.
In your first 60 days, you will have a good understanding of how Cockroach Labs operates and continue to identify opportunities to improve the Company’s financial systems and cadence. You will start implementing new processes to address the more immediate needs of the Company.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team, and our financial system You will have built key relationships so that you are the go-to subject matter expert in your field.
Reporting to Nuha Desssoukey - GTM Finance Director
Nuha has always been passionate about technology and is dedicated to building solid FP&A teams that empower and amplify inventive businesses and products rather than constrain them. Nuha has experience building finance teams in high-growth tech environments and has a strong understanding of both the profession and the industry. Nuha enjoys mentoring members of the team and is proud of the continued development and incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies. In her spare time, Nuha spends a lot of time exploring outdoors with her family; hiking, biking and soaking in the sun by the beach or the pool.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $90,000 to $120,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.