Security Researcher & Analyst - Application Security
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
Available Locations: Remote - US
About the department
Cloudflare’s Application Security department builds and runs the software that detects and mitigates malicious, abusive, and fraudulent HTTP requests going through Cloudflare network before they reach our customer sites. We achieve this by harnessing the vast amount of internet traffic data available to us to create and manage products including WAF, Bot Management, Fraud Detection and more. We use state of art Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques in security attack detection and mitigation. The team is a multidisciplinary team where system and software engineers, security researchers and analysts, and data scientists work together to identify active adversaries or attackers, and design and implement machine learning models and engineering solutions to protect customers from these security attacks.
What you'll do
- Hands-on experience working with abuse and fraud detection and prevention product engineering teams, understanding vulnerabilities and configuring mitigations or managing risks in existing and new products.
- Apply a deep understanding of security vulnerabilities in web application and application security.
- Proactively detect patterns of attacks, review false positive and false negative reports, and recommend security configurations.
- Excellent at communicating the details about security forensics to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Authoring periodic report on trends on Internet traffic and security attack insights
- Experience with modern cloud-based technologies used to deliver rapidly-changing products at scale.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A degree in computer science, IT, systems engineering, or related qualification.
- 4 years of work experience with incident detection, incident response, forensics, or similar.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong attention to detail with an analytical mind and outstanding problem-solving skills. Excellent organizational skills.
- Great awareness of cybersecurity trends and hacking techniques.
- Demonstrated results in identifying, tracking and resolving issues to resolution in the areas of cybersecurity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in OWASP, security standards and best practice
- Strong SQL experience.
- Knowledge and experience with machine learning, statistical inference, and AI in general is a huge plus
- Knowledge and experience with columnar database like Clickhouse
- Familiarity writing and optimizing advanced SQL queries
- Good Linux/UNIX systems knowledge
Compensation may be adjusted depending on work location.
- For Arizona-based hires: Estimated annual salary of $113,000 - $125,000
- For Colorado-based hires: Estimated annual salary of $115,000 - $128,000
- For New York City, Washington, and California (excluding Bay Area) based hires: Estimated annual salary of $133,000 - $148,000
- For Bay Area-based hires: Estimated annual salary of $140,000 - $156,000
This role is eligible to participate in Cloudflare’s equity plan.
Cloudflare offers a complete package of benefits and programs to support you and your family. Our benefits programs can help you pay health care expenses, support caregiving, build capital for the future and make life a little easier and fun! The below is a description of our benefits for employees in the United States, and benefits may vary for employees based outside the U.S.
Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical/Rx Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Spending Accounts
- Fertility & Family Forming Benefits
- On-demand mental health support and Employee Assistance Program
- Global Travel Medical Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life & Accident Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Participation Plan
- Flexible paid time off covering vacation and sick leave
- Leave programs, including parental, pregnancy health, medical, and bereavement leave
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.