Senior Manager, Accounts Payable (AP)
Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based in San Jose, CA
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, we are seeking an organized, motivated and knowledgeable individual with significant experience in managing global accounts payable operations. This critical position will be responsible for all items relating to the accounts payable process for the company including vendor management, processing and payment of invoices, managing and reconciling the accounts payable aging, review and payment of expense reports, and 1099 reporting. In addition, this individual will grow the global AP organization into an efficient and reliable function through continuous process improvement and automation via best practices.
- Manage the global AP process, which includes corporate card programs, vendor management, expense reimbursement, vendor invoice and credit memo processing, and payment disbursements.
- Ensure AP processing is timely, accurate, accurate, complete and in compliance with company policies, and provide immediate visibility to senior management on critical issues.
- Direct all close activities related to accounts payable and accruals, including ensuring completeness of the A/P aging and its reconciliation to the general ledger, and performing flux analysis.
- Develop and maintain AP controls and policies, and build scalable workflows that can be applied across an expanding geographic footprint.
- Manage global supplier relationships and resolve all vendor account discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Increase efficiency and accuracy of vendor invoicing and payment through process improvement, automation, and collaboration with other functional teams.
- Ensure activities from corporate credit card and time & expense reports comply with company policy and are properly recorded.
- Support ad hoc projects such as system upgrades, audits, and annual compliance, including managing the annual 1099 reporting process.
- Develop, benchmark and report AP metrics, and assist with cash forecasting.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related area; 10 years minimum related professional experience; or Master’s degree with 8 years experience without experience; of global accounts payable manager experience, with track record of growing responsibilities.
- A strong team player who can collaborate effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate complex matters to employees of all levels and departments.
- Ability to prioritize, drive for results, proactively solve complex problems and consistently deliver under tight deadlines.
- Experience in process improvement and system automation.
- Excellent analytical capabilities including advanced Microsoft Excel skills – vlookup, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience in Cloud/ERP Software (e.g., NetSuite, Coupa, Expensify, 1099Pro), SaaS, technology industry
- Preferred experience with Bill and Spend and Expense (Divvy)
- Experience scaling accounts payable at a high growth or public company
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants