At Realtor.com®, we have among the most comprehensive and accurate coverage of real estate listings and the most engaged users across all the online real estate portals. Our mission is to make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone.
Building your career? Build it better at Realtor.com®. Join us and help change the world of real estate, one home at a time.
Are you an expert researcher? Are you looking to do data driven storytelling? If you want to pursue your professional goals as you help grow an innovative real estate tech company, this work is for you. Join us as our newest Senior Economist and help change the world of real estate, one home at a time.
Realtor.com is seeking a Senior Economist on the Economics Research team with expertise in data-driven storytelling to a variety of audiences, strong analytic instincts, and skills to build models from large data. The purpose of this role will be to deliver insights to the team and its public and internal stakeholders derived from analyzing housing, economic, and consumer data. The role will report to the Chief Economist.
What you'll do:
- Work with other members of the Economics team and other data teams to extract key trends impacting residential real estate, blending Realtor.com’s proprietary data with relevant data from industry, government, and partners.
- Collaborate with internal communication and research teams and partners on topical research projects to foster Realtor.com’s share of voice. This includes data analysis, report authorship, and interviews for print, online and broadcast media.
- Serve as an expert company spokesperson to media and to industry stakeholders on specific research studies, market statistics, and Realtor.com’s point of view on the latest housing market & economic trends
- Contribute to the roadmap for innovative economic insights and data products, publish unique content on Realtor.com , including regular and ad-hoc reporting, and drive ideas for future analyses.
- Build econometric models to help explain and predict housing market conditions, including time-series, causality and machine learning methods.
- Collaborate with analysts, researchers and engineers to construct and automate economic data series, proprietary indices, and other market insights.
- Extract data, conduct complex analyses, and communicate results such that they can be easily understood by key audiences with varying degrees of housing market knowledge; audiences include: internal decision makers, home buyers, home sellers, real estate professionals, and the media.
- Lead short-fused research projects and deliver results under tight constraints.
What you'll bring:
Degree in statistics, economics, computer science or a related area. Masters/PhD or similar degree candidates or recent grads preferred.
5+ years of hands-on experience in applied data science and/or economic research (real estate or housing experience preferred).
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal including:
- Strong media presence including live television and audio and large group presentation skills to both industry and consumer audiences, with interest in further developing these skills
Ability to convey difficult subjects and ideas in sound bites that the average layperson can understand and attract media attention
Excellent research and analytic skills to support inferential and causal market analysis and forecasting.
- Coding ability and intimacy with the data science toolkit in an applied context (R, Python, Pandas, NumPy, SQL).
- Deep understanding of time series modeling and related statistical techniques (e.g. ARIMA, exponential smoothing, time series regression methods etc.)
- Experience with cloud and big data technologies to extract and analyze data (Snowflake, S3, Redshift, Athena, Hive, BigQuery, Spark, etc).
- Experience building ETL pipelines (e.g. Airflow, DBT) and productionalizing models a strong plus.
- Familiarity with housing and economic datasets a strong plus (i.e. demographic data such as Census, Claritas and economic time series data such as provided by Moody’s Analytics and micro data such as IPUMS and other loan-level mortgage databases).
- Proven track record analyzing large amounts of data and crafting data-driven stories
- Strong collaborator with the ability to work independently and cross-functionally
Do the best work of your life at Realtor.com
Building your career? Build it better at Realtor.com®. Here, you’ll partner with a diverse team of experts as you use leading-edge tech to empower everyone to meet a crucial goal: finding their way home. And you’ll find your way home too. People are our foundation—the core that drives us passionately forward. At Realtor.com, you’ll bring your full self to work as you innovate with speed, serve our consumers, and champion your teammates. In return we’ll provide you with a warm, welcoming, and inclusive culture; intellectual challenges; and the development opportunities you need to grow.
Diversity is important to us, therefore, realtor.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of age, color, national origin, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, status as a disabled veteran and/or veteran of the Vietnam Era or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, realtor.com will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified disabled individuals.