Staff Frontend Engineer, Design System
Asana’s Design System team raises product quality and velocity by empowering product teams. The team is cross-functional, including three designers and five engineers. We help product teams ensure our web application stays inclusive, intuitive, delightful, coherent, and reliable by providing helpful systems and tools. We also give designers and engineers hands-on support. Recently, we helped unblock a company-wide accessibility effort, got close to parity between Figma and code, and shipped our first spacing and sizing token, building on earlier work to introduce color tokens. Next, we’re investing in providing even more leverage with composable components, better visual testing, and an overall more intuitive and efficient experience for designers and developers.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Ensure Asana’s design system supports state-of-the-art tools, systems and resources for engineers and designers to ship product features fast and with high-quality
- Guide, support and teach Asana’s product engineers, so they have sufficient frontend expertise to leverage the design system to design, plan, build and ship product features independently
- Cultivate Asana’s internal design system community–frontend frameworks team members and design system component contributors from product teams–so they have deep domain knowledge about the design systems and user interface engineering to contribute to continuously improve the design system
- Inform Asana’s design system investments, so they incorporate industry tools and techniques with consideration of its existing technical landscape as well as the goals of all product teams and adjacent frameworks, such as Accessibility
- 5+ years of experience and a deep familiarity with modern frontend web technology; TypeScript, React and Sass / CSS
- Bring others on the journey for a large technical change, in an organization with hundreds of engineers and designers, while effectively explaining the “why” of your work
- Others around you learn about Design Systems from working with you (ideally, you’ve contributed to at least 1 Design System)
- Work as well with designers as you do with engineers and are comfortable with the tools designers use. Asana’s designers use Figma
- Great attention to detail and an appreciation for design quality, delight and polish
- Want an environment where you and your teammates empower one another to become the best versions of yourselves
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $202,000 - $316,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also comply with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws in other locations.